New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Newbie with starter issues...boy do i have issues!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Macmanus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with starter issues...boy do i have issues!

Okay, so I have been troubleshooting my problem for the past two weeks on and off. Here is the background:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with no engine/drivetrain mods

Two weeks ago, the truck began acting like the batteries were dying and it was slow to start in the morning but would start right up in the afternoon after driving. I replaced the older of the two batteries, and still no joy. I replaced one battery last year that was completely dead. So, I pulled the starter off, took it in, had it tested on a bench, and it worked fine. I put it back on after cleaning the connectors to the battery terminals, and all it does is make a faint clicking sound. After som research, I discovered that usually the problem is the terminals within the starter solenoid itself, so I bought a new plunger and terminal set and changed them out to no avail. It still makes the same faint clicking sound. The batteries show full charge and I have ruled them out. Does anyone have any ideas short of just biting the bullet and getting a new starter? Thanks for any help and suggestions you might have!

S/F

Beave

Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

check your connections and wires. check the starter-ground connection and take measure the voltage drop from the starter wire. Probe the battery with one and the starter end with the other. It shouldnt be much of a reading at all. In the tenths of a volt.
I'd have your battery tested. You could have a feew dead cells, measure 12v+ and because the cells are dead, they can't sustain the current draw the starter needs to crank the engine.
Only other thing would be your TIPM module being faulty. (Totally Integrated Powertrain Module) It's the fuse box in your engine compartment. Theres a bog computer board inside that replaces all the old mechanical relays for electronic one's which is why there are very few fuses!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM
hillbilli
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals? Try swapping the batteries around or unhooking from the truck and charging independantly for a few hours. Also, use an Ohm meter and check the resistance from the battery to the starter to rule out a bad cable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie with starter issues...boy do i have issues!