New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hemi Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Mr68cuda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Spark Plugs

Can anyone explain why Dodge recommends changing spark plugs on the Hemi every 30,000 miles? Based on other modern engines, this seem like a very short interval.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 12:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

Thats because the hemi engine has non-platinum spark plugs, and is recommended to be replaced every 30k.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put what ever plugs in you want, SRT8 hemis run platt plugs so platt plugs in a my 5.7 hemi are working just fine.

Run a cooler plug than the oem copper champions ( or what ever brand dodge is using now ) just to be on the safe side that you will not throw codes due to the higher operating temp of a platt plug.

Im off warrenty now, but if you still under the factery warenty, stick with copper plugs.

Dodge is messing with you a bit as copper champions, same part number for the hemi are good for two years, unlimted miles in two years, says so right on the last box of champions I bought in the states.

16 plugs x the cost of cheap copper plugs vers 16 plugs x platt plugs and you will quickly understand that intial cost's and keeping you comming back to dodge dealerships are my reasoning why dodge did this.

All your going to gain if you go with platt plugs is increasing the change out interviles vers the copper plugs, for my self its worth it as I change out my own plugs my self.

Platt plugs in aluim heads have been working just fine for all brands.

Quick Reply: Hemi Spark Plugs