New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hello, I registered here to say thank you

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 AM
freetoride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hello, I registered here to say thank you

Hi all, Neal here.... I have a 99 1500 Sport 4X4 that hasn't been driven much in the last few years because of transmission overheating troubles. I've been wrenching for 30+ years, but I've always been afraid of autotragic transmissions and haven't had a couple of grand to spare for a new one. I just bought an old Porsche and didn't have any luck borrowing a truck from one of my friends to bring it home. So I decided to tackle the old Dodge, it would give a trans temp light on the freeway and kick out of OD, it also was using oil and labor knocking. Anyway, after some google searching, I kept coming back to your forums and found the fixes for both of these problems. Dorman plenum set and seafoam fixed the running issues and a Borg Warner solenoid set fixed the transmission issues. I didn't even get to test drive it after working furiously on it for a few days. So I took off with the trailer on a 500 mile round trip to get the 914. Wow! I had forgotten how sweet it is to listen to that 360 growl down the highway. I only used the OD for about an hour on the smooth flat highway with the empty trailer, after that it was the rough roads of Memphis and the hills of Mississippi and Alabama so no OD and of course I didn't use the overdrive on the way back. I'm really glad I didn't drive it much while it was sick, it only has about 103,000 miles on it. She should be good for several more now. So thank you all very much for sharing all this valuable information, you helped to save a Dodge.

Quick Reply: Hello, I registered here to say thank you