New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 PM
MatthewEdwards
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota club cab with the 4.7 v8 and SLT package with 83,000 miles on it.

This truck was bought at auction in 2010 with only 43,000 miles original. It was a municipal supervisors truck for the city of Santa Clara.
Due to emmisions regulations they had to sell it because it does not have a fuel tank pressure sensor (loose fuel cap sensor).

Anyhow I got my Dakota for $4,000.

I use it for plumbing work so i put an aluminum cab high shell on the back and bolted a steel toolbox inside the bed on one side.
lets me lock up all my hand tools and still has room for my ladder and material although i can only fit 6 foot sections of pipe inside.

The beauty of this setup is how none of my tools are visible to the average passerby.
Kinda a stealth work truck.

I came to this site because I just had my first real problem with the truck and I hope it is behind me know.

Yesterday my 4.7 quit at 50 mph just for a second but set a code P320.
I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor ($48 Brand called Standard part number PC284).

Reset the code by disconnecting the battery for a while.

The truck idles much better now as a side effect.
Not really sure why. I figure the sensor either works or doesn't but there is definitely a noticeable improvement in idle quality.
Sure hope that does the trick and i don't have a larger problem.
time will tell.

Other than that the only other problems the truck has given me was a power steering pump failure at 77,000 miles, a heater core failure at 75,000 and an AC clutch bearing failure at 65,000.
In all cases i was still able to drive home. (bypassed the heater core, replaced the AC bearing, replaced the PS pump on the side of the road.)

By the way, what is the deal with the 17 or 18 mm PS pump shaft!
Luckily my auto parts house had a universal pump that came with a pully attached. That mother is NOT easy to replace on the side of the road let me tell you!

The anti-spin differential is a bit noisy in u-turns (low wirring noise) but it's still tight after 83,000.

Let me say Thanks to everyone here for the great information that helped me resolve my various problems with my Dakota both before I became a member and this most recent issue which prompted me to join today.

Last edited by MatthewEdwards; 08-05-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling.. adding stuff..
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

Now that you are a member of the dodge forum family, you can now share your knowledge to the others members too. Welcome aboard.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
TRUCKDIVA
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If there are any aftermarket accessories you may be interested in, don’t hesitate to ask.