New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

It is what it is

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Lanny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry It is what it is

Another Dodge Ram dash story. 2001 2500 Cummins extra cab 2wd. Fantastic truck. Coming after a 460 Ford F 250...it was like a locomotive after Citroen C2V. It has all of 40,000 miles on it...still on OEM tires. Pretty much hauled gooseneck horse trailer with it in New Mexico for a few years. Still looks almost showroom. But....some years back a crack appeared on the dash. So, I bought a dash mat to keep the sun from hitting it. Didn't think much of it until recently when I was doing a thorough interior cleaning. Whoa...dash had all but disintegrated. Like a Hershey bar taken out of the freezer and whapped on the counter.

Went online...found this is a known issue. So, inasmuch as this is one of 17 Mopar vehicles our families have owned over the years...figured I might call Chrysler. Although they appreciated our loyalty over the years, best they could offer was to split the $840 cost of a new one and the labor. Some appreciation after 17 vehicles. For a known issue. Yep. Truck is ten years old...crack appeared long before it was ten years old. Sorry. That's all we can do. And I'm not sure the replacement isn't made out of the same tortilla chips as the OEM dash. I'm not feeling all that appreciated. But I'd appreciate any advice on what I can do without involving Chrysler. At all.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie

Id go to the local junk yard theres lots of awsome stuff cheap, sometims people forget nice s*!t gets wrecked too lol.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

At least they were willing to help. Its in a small way, But i have seen them not to help at all.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Lanny
Default thanks

I'll start combing the junk yards...maybe I can duct tape all the pieces together and cover it with bedliner....or that Sold On TV stuff that makes boat bottoms out of screen doors...

Still think a $300000 plus truck should have a dashboard that outlasts the batteries... maybe Chrysler could contact the chemists at a high chair company and get the formula for those trays that withstand all manner of abuse and seem to last forever...