New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New to Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 PM
swearingsailor69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Dodge

Hey guys

I am here because I don't know Dodge very well, have had lots of experience with other makes of trucks, but not with the early Dodges.

Came across a deal that I am still in the process of thinking over.
The truck is a 1978 D200 Club cab,440 v8, 2wheel drive, Automatic tranny etc... Will be used to pull a 38' goose neck camper if I end up getting the truck.

I have this beater work car (gas sipper) that he wants to trade for this truck.
Since I have a company vehicle now, I no longer have to worry about gas mileage, at least to work and back.

Ok, here are the questions I have!!
Like I said, I am new to Dodge so bear with me.

I know its an automatic, but what automatic transmissions were available in this truck?? I am thinking on maybe a manual conversion in the future, but we will see. Pro's/Cons of the transmission, etc...

What are some things to watch out for/look for while looking over this truck? Common leaks, weak spots, etc..... I just don't want to be caught off guard, especially when I am unfamiliar with this particular truck.

Is the 440 a common option for this truck?? How reliable is the automatic transmission behind this engine? I did print a sheet so that I can decipher the VIN and make sure that it is what he says it is.

How do I visually identify the engine as a 440? I will be away from home, with no access to the internet when I go to look at it, so I want to be prepared a head of time.

There are more questions I have, but they can wait until after I trade for the truck.
Thanks a head of time!
~Ryan

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

440 and 383 were not standard in those days, they were options. If the dist is on the front of the engine, you may have a 383/440 engine. If the Dist is on the rear of the engine, there was the 318,340 and 360 engines.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
TRUCKDIVA
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If there are any accessories you are looking for just let me know!

Quick Reply: New to Dodge