New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

confused need your help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 AM
89 dodge caravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused need your help!!!!!!!

ok so i have a 1989 dodge caravan 2.5l turbo. When i first start the van when its cold out like during the winter their is hesitation in the idle it would run fine for a few minutes then it will hesitatite for a brief second then pick right back up and continue to run like this untill the engine gets warmed up. But during the summer their is no problem what so ever. found out recently that the battery is bad or has a dead cell in it but does still keep enough charge to start the van. From reading the chilton on my van and talking to the auto parts store thinking it may be either a bad automatic idle speed motor, or a throttle position sensor. but today we pulled out the AIS motor and cleaned it ended up having to remove the whole throttle body to do this because of striped bolts holding in the AIS motor, but when we put everything back together not only did it not fix the problem but created a high pitch whining noise now believe its coming from the throttle body. now i think their is a chance that maybe a vacume leak? but not sure whats wrong now. Anyone know how to tell if the AIS motor or the throttle position sensor are bad? Any help or advise on this would great thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Did you check for any active or stored codes?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 AM
89 dodge caravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Did you check for any active or stored codes?
Yes I did 12 , 24, 55, but I beginning to think its both the throttle position sensor and the automatic idle speed motor

Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Code 24 is for the TPS sensor (Throttle Position Sensor) and then i would either clean or replace the AIS motor. Be sure to visit the minivan section, We have a lot of knowledgeable members there.

Quick Reply: confused need your help!!!!!!!