New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

'85 Turismo Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Big_Bad_Woulf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Turismo Project

Hello Everyone.
I guess I'll give everyone an idea why I'm here. I recently was given a 1985 Plymouth Turismo. This car is probably near mint condition. I'll try and post pics eventually. The car has 14k miles on it. For some reason it's stalling. The previous owner just put $1,600 in this car. There was a new carb, and new head gasket put in the car. I just put $800.00 of shocks (rear and front) and tires on the car. I also changed the fuel filter-hoping that was the stalling problem. Well it's still stalling. I'll be taking it back to the dealership that supposedly "fixed" it.

My future plans are to take this car and make it into a recreation of the Dodge Turbo Interceptor (M4S) the car affectionately known as "The Wraith". I am looking to find someone or some company that can help me fabricate the body to fit my Turismo's dimensions. After getting the body taken care of I will get into the engine work. More than anything I want the look of the Interceptor. if anyone knows a reputable company that can help me I'd appreciate the help.

I will be checking in frequently see what's shaking in the D/F.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned
Default RE: '85 Turismo Project

Welcome to the site. I don'tknow what kinda car that is. Definately get some pics up.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

yea cant wait for pics

Old 09-05-2005, 12:46 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

This was Plymouth's version of the Dodge Charger in the 80's.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/99455EB29CA64ACB9CF0157824A9EA70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 AM
Big_Bad_Woulf

Ok folks the Turismo is on in the Photo Gallery under the title Big Bad Woulf's Work in Progress. I know a long title...lol

Well here's the scoop for the day. So as I said before the car keeps stalling. So I went to a local bookstore and got "Car Repair for Dummies". I also bought a book on Holly carb's.

Well in the book for dummies it tells you how to troubleshoot for problems with the carb. The diagrams aren't the greatest, but I narrowed it down to the solenoid or idle bleed screw. Well I think it's the idle bleed screw. Anyway when you step on the gas there is a metal piece that sits against a screw it's pushed away from the screw and then a spring pulls it back when the accellerator is released. Well mine didn't stop back far enough. In fact the piece never touched the screw.

It was hell getting to the screw, because I didn't know what size it was. Needless to say I didn't have a wrench that was small enough. A 6mm was way to small a 7mm was too big. So between the auto store and Home Depot (hardware super store), I finally bought a pair of needlenose vise grips and worked the screw to the point where I felt it would stop the metal piece at a point that would allow for the car to idle when not in motion. HOT Dammm it worked! I have a little throbbing now when it's at idle, but I ain't screwing with it no further. I ended up taking off the air filter cover and removing hoses and all kinds of stuff.

So I take the wife for a spin to show her how nice it is, then drop her off home to go and vaccum the car. Well when I start out I feel the car straining to move. As if the brakes are stuck. Well looks like there is brake fluid leaking somewhere. The brake petal goes right to the floor. I know I didn't break any lines or anything and the reservoir is full. So I'll have to wait til Tuesday to get it looked at. I figure another $400-$500 for brakes. I had the Monroe brake people check the brakes before they put on the Shocks and struts and tires. They said the brakes were fine...Oh well. The saga continues. Stay Tuned.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Since your a big fan of the Wraith like myself....i thought you might be interested in this....I've always wanted this car...and still to this day do....

http://www.thewraithcar.com/

Est . Cost was 1.5 Million

PPG Developed the paint( thats all) and it was a Bronze Pearl est. to cost 38k

The M4S is powered by a Chrysler 2.2 liter 4 cyl. with a Cosworth 16 valve head (specially modified)and twin Garret TurboChargers.
5 speed Transaxle.
Twin Bosch L-jetronic fuel metering system.
440 hp with max 23 lbs of boost. (also says develops 350bhp @7000 rpm)
BBS 16x9 Magnesium alloy wheels.
Huffaker tube chassis(modified)
Drag Co-efficient of 0.24

Vehicle is 186 inches long, 71.7 inches wide, 43.2 inches high, with a 100 inch wheelbase.

Specialized vehicles Inc. of Troy Mich. Handled the Modification to the Chassis, Engine, And roll cage

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/F8341303CC204785A296BF1FE9AC6CB7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/DFB052AA8E3244CCB67C9420368777FD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/521EEE2795FA4DCA8717F237F72E9115.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Big_Bad_Woulf

Hello DR.
Thanks for the response. The following info you probably already know. There were actually 2 Turbo Interceptors (M4S) made and 6 prop cars from what I have gathered. The original M4S is in the Dodge Museum. I plan to go see that some day. I hope they let me take pics. The other fully functional M4S- I'm just going to call the car Wraith- is owned by a private collector. Of the 6 prop cars 4 were destroyed in the movie. 1 prop car is in Wichita, Kansas- supposedly being refurbished. I got an e-mail from the guy that has it. He says he'll be updating the site soon. His last update was in May. I sent him an e-mail asking if he wanted to sell the prop car-no answer.

I just rec'd an e-mail a few minutes ago from a guy on the TurboDodge site. He says he has a SuperCharger especially designed for my Turismo. It has never been used. I am looking to get a reasonable price for it, and have it shipped to me. If this happens I will forego buying my 2005 Mustang GT and go full-bore on recreating the Wraith. You have given me information I didn't have previously, which is great. I now know who did the frame work on the Wraith. This will help me to move on the frame of my Turismo. It is my understandiing that the Wraith was basically a prototype of the Daytona and is on a Daytona frame. Well I didn't have anyone give me a mint condition Daytona for free....lol So I will work with what I have.

This will be a really cool project. I just want everyone to know (I've said this before) the engine is not the object of my affection with the Wraith it's the body-style of the car. I believe Acura tried to copy the body with there car that was used in Pulp Fiction. The body on the Wraith is awesome. I have dreamed of this car every since I saw the movie. Now to be able to actually bring the dream to reality is within my reach. I just told my wife "screw buying a 2005 Mustang" I want my Wraith.

Again DR thank you for the info update.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Big_Bad_Woulf

Ok if you go to my Photo Gallery you will now see pics of my Turismo and pics of The Wraith. Get to see the future of the 2.2 Turismo

Old 09-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site!! Thanks for joining!!

~Amanda

Old 09-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Big_Bad_Woulf

Hello Dodgegirl...Thank you for the welcome. This is a cool site. I am hoping to be an active member..gain lots of friends and keep everyone up on the progress of my Turismo

Quick Reply: '85 Turismo Project