New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Old school 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM
dakota postal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school 2.2

I have been working on a 1987 dakota for a few months now. Started with a 2.2 only 10k on the engine and now have it stripped down to from what i can tell just the distributor is still using the computer. All emission stuff is gone, i have just the fuel line going to a holley factory carb with mechanical secondary and the main jet drilled out. Put in a temp. gauge and switch for the fan. Runs good except the computer will retard the timing and i lose some gas mileage and performance. Wondering if there is another 4 cylindar distributor that has centrifical and vacuum advance that i could incorporate or direct fit without having to buy something aftermarket. Dont have alot in the truck and not looking to spend a load of cash.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Allpar is full of guys who tinker with the older Chrysler stuff. That may be somewhere to go ask also. Off hand I can't remember a 2.2 or 2.5 that didn't at least have that type of setup, but I started in 1992 so....what do I know lol.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

Are you checking the timing with the engine and temp sensor disconnected? And if you did what did you set the timing at? As far as i know you need the spec controller for the dist.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
dakota postal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya i have the coolant sensor totally disconnected, and the timing is set to 10 degrees. i cut out the idiot light in the dash and put a temp gauge in and have the fan connected to a toggle switch on the dash. havnt had to turn it on yet. As far as i can tell the only thing being run by that stupid box on the fender is the distrubutor, because it has no vacuum or centrifical advance it needs the box to control it. because the other stuff is unplug the comp. just uses default settings for the dist. It runs well but I know it has potential for more.

Quick Reply: Old school 2.2