New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New member need help towing capacity help

Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Steezydad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member need help towing capacity help

Hi . I am a new member here but not new to Dodge. On my second Ram and love it. However I never should have downsized from Diesel to gas or from 2500 to 1500. Anyway. I am looking at a camper and for the life of me can't find any reliable info on towing capacity for my truck.

It is a 2008 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 liter engine with multi speed overdrive automatic transmission with the 3.92 axel ratio and the trailer tow group with a class 4 receiver hitch.

The camper I am looking to get weighs 6530 pounds which is the unloaded vehicle weight. I may add helper springs to help with the load and I do have a weight distribution hitch as well. I plan on upgrading my truck back to a new diesel in the next year so would be only using the camper with the 1500 truck i have on a limited basis and no really long trips.

So can I pull it with the set up I have now? I would be very careful of what I load in it so as not to achieve the full GVWR of the camper which is 10K pounds which I know is probably way to much for my truck. Any help anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to getting more out of this site in the future when I return back to the diesel truck.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owners manual index,Towing, will give you every detail you need.Give it a try....

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have any problem towing that with your truck. The 99 grand cherokee I owned had a 6500 pound tow rating with the same transmission and the 4.7, along with a lower payload and much shorter wheelbase.

With a 3.92 ratio and the factory tow package, your capacity should be in the 9000 pound range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member need help towing capacity help