New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New here

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
G-Whiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here

Hey, guys. My name is Elijah. I'm no gearhead, but I am a Dodge guy. I have an '07 Charger. So, when the time came for me to buy a van for my band to tour in, of course, I chose the Dodge 15 passenger van I got pretty cheap. It is a 1985 B350 Prospector Royal. When I got it home from doing the deal, I found the catalytic converter in the back. I looked under the van to find a new exhaust system with a modern muffler, with no noticeable location for the converter. I know I probably should have caught that when checking the vehicle out before buying, but I didn't know any better at the time. So, it looks to me that they took the converter off and replaced the exhaust system without putting it back on. I also understand that it is illegal to not have the cat. I need to get this thing inspected asap, and I am not a stranger to some light auto work, and a lot of home diy.

Would the job of putting the cat back on be as simple as cutting a chunk of the exhaust pipe out, and putting the cat there, then using hose clamps to tighten it down, or would it have to be welded in? I understand some people knock the honeycomb out, but I don't want to take any risks and I want it done right. Where along the chain (before or after muffler, etc) would the cat go?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You maybe better off taking the van to a muffler shop. They would have everything they need to install the converter.

Search this Thread