New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hi,New Here From Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:17 PM
UncleLar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi,New Here From Arizona

I retired out here last year from The People's Republic of Chicago.It sure is great to be back in America again.
I just got a pretty solid and straight 96 B1500 conversion van a few days ago.
I intend to do what I refer to as Rte 66 crawling,checking out all the parts that are left of it,exploring the relics,seeing what attractions are still there,crumbled as well as current and talking to the people along the way taking lots of pictures,just plain exploring our beautiful country before it's too late.It's a learning experience and usually a lot of fun.
I picked up on the van so I'd have some comfort and be able to save on hotel rooms as my last crawl was 3 weeks long.
That said,the van has a 318(5.2) with overdrive trans.I'm not sure what the axle ration is as I can't find a tag on the door frame with any build codes.
It runs pretty good but could use a tune up and I believe it also needs a new oxygen sensor.
Would a Bosch sensor work okay in a Mopar?
Also,it's fuel injected but for some reason I have to give it some throttle to get it to start,if I don't it cranks but won't fire and that has me puzzled.
I remember all my Mopars from the old days,all were carbed and if you hit the throttle more than once to set the choke and start them they ALWAYS flooded and you never needed the throttle to start them when they were warm. I looked around the forum here but couldn't find any reference to the starting issue,any ideas?
Also,the factory radio needs some work and my speedometer light and a couple of gauge lights are out so I'm going to have to pull the cluster.Are there any links to a how to for that? I figure I can fix the radio and the lighting problem in one fell swoop with the cluster removed,I just hope the traces aren't prone to melting or burning up on the back of the gauges like so many vehicles now.
Anyway,thanks in advance for any help,I'm going back to exploring the site some more now. UncleLar

Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF Head over to the Ram Van section and ask your questions there. Get one of these from Dodge, it will tell you everything about the van. http://www.dodge.com/wccsapp/univers...ull&category=R

And NO Bosch o2's, use NTK . Also , go over to the 2nd gen Ram section and read the plenum sticky on top of the forum. Also for the starting issue, there is a great DIY in the VAN section on how to clean the TB and IAC. Disconnect negative battery cable before cleaning or replacing ANY sensors.

BTW, if you look in the 2nd gen ram general discussion section, there is a sticky for Rock Auto discount. They have NTK o2's along with most everything else you'll need. And don't ignore the plenum sticky(even though it's long).

Last edited by zman17; 06-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 PM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. You have some really smart people on here (myself not included) that probably know more about your van than most tech shops. Hit them up, get it running in tip top shape and post some pictures of your travels. Drive safe, glad to have you.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by PrestonEidsmoe
Welcome to the Forum. You have some really smart people on here (myself not included) that probably know more about your van than most tech shops. Hit them up, get it running in tip top shape and post some pictures of your travels. Drive safe, glad to have you.
Haha....stick around man, you will be offering up your own advice in no time. Most everything can be learned.