New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Newbie with Dodge questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM
jqthomas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Dodge questions...

Hey y'all. New Dodge owner here...bought my first 4x4 in 1991 and have owned one ever since, just traded my built 93 Jeep Wrangler for an '03 Durango SXT 4.7 Liter 4x4 and am completely in love with my new rig. I have had an S10 Blazer, a K5 Blazer, a Cherokee, 2 Wranglers, and an Isuzu Rodeo; and this is by far my favorite of all of them.

I have already replaced the nasty air filter left by the previous owner, and I plan on changing the oil and doing a drain and fill on the radiator this weekend.

Can someone tell me the oil capacity of the 4.7 Liter? I have done a google search but all I can find are guys arguing over whether it takes 5.5 or 6...

Also wondering if someone can point me in the direction of the drain plug for the radiator. This Dodge engine is set up a little differently than my old Jeep's.

Lastly is there a trick to getting the codes from the "Check engine" light? I read somewhere about clicking on/ off with the ignition 5 times or something.... Anyone know the trick?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
ThomasTepfer

if its like the dodge ram 4.7 its on the bottom left of the inside of the radiator. theres a little spout and the bolt that holds it in is on the top of it....careful not to take it all the way out...its a pain getting it back in lol

Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM
jqthomas
Rookie

left facing the truck or underneath it and looking up?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF! The 4.7 takes 6 quarts. I know this because I was always forgetting to buy an extra quart when I changed my oil and bought those 5 quart jugs. Radiator drain is easy to find. Just look up underneath.. Weather it's on the left or right side I dont remember, but you cant miss it.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM
jqthomas
Rookie

Thanks guys. The oil filter on the Durango is so much easier to get to than the old Jeep's. Unfortunately though, my drain pan was no match for the 6 quarts that came out. Time to buy a new drain pan.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 PM
ThomasTepfer

its on the left looking up at it. And to get the codes click the key forward and back 3 times ending with the key in the on position.

Quick Reply: Newbie with Dodge questions...