New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New Ram owner / First truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
topkin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Ram owner / First truck

Hello Dodge Forum so I'll try to give yall a solid intro to me, my truck, and the work I've done. I am a new member to this sight and also a new owner to a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. Second Crystler ever owned (had an Eagle Summit as my first car in Highschool).

I recently purchased this truck after owning a 95 Chevy Blazer for 6-7 years. The vacume/electric 4x4 was a nightmare on that truck and after about 250K of otherwise reliable miles I decided it was time to buy a full size truck for several reasons; I live in the Rockey Mountains working as a Professional Snowboard Coach so 4x4 that's reliable is a MUST. I own a snowmobile and though my Blazer towed it just fine I like the idea of tossing it in my bed and not having to tow a trailor, clearance, and the ablility to move stuff around / haul loads (firewood, moving apartments and such).

After about four months of serching GMs, Fords, Dodges, and Toyotas, I came across this 2001 Ram truck new in on trade at a dealer. So new in on trade that it had some issues and had yet to be washed and detailed, that and there was a discrepancy on the miles since the odometer was broken for a year and had recently been fixed I was able to pick it up for a good price (about $2,000 under a lot of other trucks I had looked at were priced).

So began some cleanup work:
-I removed all the doofy Ram symbol accesories, Ram symbol tail light covers, Ram stearing wheel cover, Ram floor mats, Ram logo 4th brake light in the reese hitch.
-Upper dash had cracks and holes, replaced that with a new one from Mopar
-Fixed the interior dome lights
-Replaced a leaky power stearing line
-Replaced the two license plate lights. It needed pig tail harneses, the old ones were melted and just hanging from the rear
-Replaced the right upper and lower ball joints and axel shaft seal
-New front brake rotors and pads
-Oil change/filter
-Spark Plugs, wires, cap and rotor
-Air filter box was cracked and in need of a new filter as well, so I just went with a Spectra Ram Air intake/filter (give the engin bay a little bling).
-OEM exhaust was in need of two new claps, so that fixed a minor exhaust leak it had.
-The tranny fluid was waaaaaaaaaaaay (like nearly a quarter of the dipstick) over filled causing it to hesitate to shift. I drained it and added new fluid/filter. Smoothed her right out.
-In the middle of replacing all 8 fuel injectors now. It has to crank for a minute to start. I have ruled out that it's the fuel pump, regulator, relay, or temp sensor causing this. The truck smells of gas when it starts so my next guess is I have a bad injector that leaks out when the truck is turned off, Ill give an update once finished.
-Took it to get an alignment.
-Added an Eagle Topper/Cap from Craigslist since I travel a bit and live in a alpine winter climate I need room carry Snowboards/Gear and such.
-Also tracked town a matching aluminum wheel and a used tire for a spare. I had to dremel out the middle of the wheel to get the hanger through, so now I have a nice all terrain spare that I could drive freeway speeds on.

The truck has after market rear speakers and a nice new CD player with removable face and a USB port. I think the previous owner had sub woofers because I removed alot of usless audio wire that was hiden under the interior trim. Also came with decent all terrain tires with little whear

I still need to fix the power locks, right power window switch, instrument bezel (cracked but not to bad), and find a new sunglass holder for the ceiling consol.

The engine runs/idles smooth, she shifts smooth, and drives smooth. Once everything is fixed I plan on adding a after market cat back exhaust, and an extra spring in the rear for heavly loads(maybe a truck camper). Haven't really decided on a locking diff or any type of different gearing yet because this is my only vehical and sees alot of freeway time as well as off road/back road and snow road time.

Last edited by topkin; 10-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Ditch the vacuum axle disconnect, and get a posi-lok. That will make 4 wheel drive fool proof. (and also give the capability of 2 lo.)

Nice truck. Welcome to DF. You should post this in the 2nd gen General Discussion forum as well. Folks there will appreciate it.

In the tech section, there is a stickied Plenum thread, I highly recommend you read that as well.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 PM
topkin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice! I removed the pics so that I could post them in the thread in the Gen 2 general discusions thread.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: New Ram owner / First truck