New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Dan Mitchell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Got a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 with little over 200,000 miles. Since I've had it I've changed radiator, upper and bottom hose, cap and thermostat at one time or another for various obvious leaks. Pulling in the drive way couple days ago check gages light came on and truck was starting to run hot. Let it cool and put a gallon of 50/50 in it to see if I could find the leak. Don't see a leak any way but noticed its getting on the belt somewhere and the belt is throwing coolant around but its not a lot just a small few drops but steady. Had time to look at it today so I drove around the block for a few minutes to let it warm up and see if I could find the leak. Opened the hood and found a decent amount of coolant around the engine compartment. Starting thinking possible water pump so I took the overfow off to see if I could see it leaking from around the water pump. Funny thing is when I took the overflow off and started the moter it quit throwing any coolant what so ever. Overflow has very little coolant in it and see no leaks in it or the hose, any help as to what to check?

Last edited by Dan Mitchell; 03-17-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-17-2018, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Did the engine cool enough that the system was no longer under pressure?

That sounds a lot like a water pump to me though.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak