New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Need Help Deciding . Charger R/T or Charger Srt8

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Anthony99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding . Charger R/T or Charger Srt8

So for the past 12 months I’ve been saving money for a new car . I have a good chunk saved up , and I also have my current car that I could sell for more .
my father has driven a charger se for the past 7 years , and I’ve absolutely loved everything about it , except for the lack of power of course . So my decisions have come down to the r/t or srt8.
With the R/T I would owe a lot less money , and it would take me about only 3 years to pay off with small, manageable payments .
with the Srt8 I would owe almost double what the R/t would cost me once interest is factored in, and I’d be paying it off over the course of 4-5 years , with close to the Same payment .
Like I said my father has driven his charger for 7 years without a single problem yet, other than regular maintence . So I’m not worried about reliablity , as long as I maintain it properly .
So my question is , is the Srt8 worth the extra year or 2 of payments ? they’re both v8 engines , and feature mostly the same stuff besides cosmetics . The Srt8 has different rims , body style , gauges , seats , etc. But is it worth the price ?
or is it better to go with the R/T, and do modifications to get the extra gain in power. all and any advice is very much appreciated . this is going to dictate the next few years of my life , so please try to give accurate advice rather than just saying “yup. The srt is better because it’s faster.” This will be my first time ever having car payments . I’m only 20 years old , so all of my cars I’ve had previously had been paid off full, in cash. this is gonna be a big change , but I think it’s worth it . Advice ?

Old 04-19-2018, 03:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

It really depends on if the extra 100 hp of the SRT is important enough to you to warrant the extra cost.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

How is your job situation? Does it pay well? Is it secure? Not likely to get laid off any time soon? How much of a bite will payments take out of your paycheck for either car? What about the difference in price of insurance?? I would imagine the SRT is gonna be more expensive...... and being you are under 25, they are going to want to rape you in any event.

Have you considered a low-mileage used Charger? Friend of mine saved himself a few 10's of thousands of dollar buying one with 16K on the clock, as opposed to brand spankin' new...... (Hellcat) Still has the warranty, and it was still extendable out to 100K miles as well.

Quick Reply: Need Help Deciding . Charger R/T or Charger Srt8