New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

5.9 cummins seized up. 133K miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 03:07 PM
CHAPMAN ELECTRIC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 cummins seized up. 133K miles

Recently did a 2500 mile road trip with the trailer with no sign of possible problems. Within a few miles of getting home, on the freeway at 80MPH the engine simply died. All guages working, everything except the engine. Tried to turn in over and nothing. Wondering if it was the batteries, towed her home, battery check and charge showed perfect, 10 month old dealer "mopar" batteries.
Took off the plate at the flex plate attempting to turn the engine, no go.
Removed the serpentine belt and did the same, nothing. Seized solid.
Removed engine oil, no signs of flakes. Removed the filter and cut open, no signs of metal.
Have not lifted the engine up to remove the oil pan completely yet so I haven't had a chance to see the crank/inners yet.
This is the best condition 14 year old truck I've ever seen in my life. Not a dent/scratch/stain/ just perfect truck except the slight scratching in the bed of the 5th wheel hitch. My analogy, as I purchased from a broker/whole-seller who told me it was a trade in at the local Chevy dealer is that it's probably a retired couple who travels to the east coast once a year to see the family and parks it in the garage, not used for any of the home depot runs and doesn't touch it till "next year". I only assume/joke this way because of the condition the truck is. That's also why I assume the maintenance was "Top notch". The batteries are dealer. Every thing I see is dealer that has been repaired. MY POINT... I can't understand what could have just stopped he engine, dead in the tracks....
I'm assuming I'll need to replace the engine and have been shopping.
What will be an R&R for this 06 with the "C" vin/8th digit.

Or... Could I upgrade to the 6.7 with the 2011 trans to go with it? (computer situation then, huh? )

I don't have an endless money source so I'm trying to do the best with what I can come up with on the funds after a motor cycle accident has wiped me out from a year ago..

Any ideas please shoot out.
I appreciate any and all help. My ignorance is pretty extreme with the diesel engines. I'm able to turn wrenches and learn but my experiences have been with engines I can pick up and put on the work table alone..... air cool Vdubs my entire life.....

Old 12-01-2019, 06:05 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The 6.7 wouldn't be much of an upgrade, and I prefer the 48RE transmission over the 68RFE that comes in the 6.7. The 48RE is cheaper to build and can handle more power when built than the 68RFE. If it was me I would look for a 5.9 out of a junkyard to throw in there, any 03-07 5.9 will work and you could even use a 98.5-02 5.9 if you swap the injection system over. Just be aware that some 98-00 models had issues with the blocks cracking.

The following users liked this post:
CHAPMAN ELECTRIC (12-21-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Is this the 'killer dowel pin' problem?

Old 12-21-2019, 11:22 PM
CHAPMAN ELECTRIC

Wasn't the Killer dowel in the 6.0 Ford's, not the Cummins?
Unless there's something I've not heard of, that's the one I'm aware of..... Boy, I wonder.....

Old 12-21-2019, 11:23 PM
CHAPMAN ELECTRIC

I appreciate the info on the years and the side info as well. I really had no idea what years would work or what would have to be done. You've answered my questions on that issue. Thank you

Old 12-22-2019, 12:07 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAPMAN ELECTRIC
Wasn't the Killer dowel in the 6.0 Ford's, not the Cummins?
Unless there's something I've not heard of, that's the one I'm aware of..... Boy, I wonder.....
The killer dowl pin was on the 12v Cummins.

Quick Reply: 5.9 cummins seized up. 133K miles