New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

98 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 08:26 PM
jet vet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van

I have opportunity to buy a one owner 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van with a 5.2 liter V8 and 96,000 miles on it. They are asking $5000. I would like to know if that is a fair price and if there are any common issues with this particular van? I do not work on vehicles myself. I am an older disabled veteran. Thank you

Old 01-27-2024, 09:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

If it starts, runs, and drives good, and can pass a used car inspection, (I HIGHLY recommend this.... less than a 100 bucks, and could save you thousands.....) 5 grand is NOT out of line. Used car pricing has gotten ridiculous of late....

The following users liked this post:
jet vet (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 10:26 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by jet vet
I have opportunity to buy a one owner 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van with a 5.2 liter V8 and 96,000 miles on it. They are asking $5000. I would like to know if that is a fair price and if there are any common issues with this particular van? I do not work on vehicles myself. I am an older disabled veteran. Thank you

You are looking at about as much of a bullet proof vehicle as modern vehicles go. It is 25+ years old so things will be wearing out. In some ways vans are stinkers to work on. It's really cramped in front. If it has maintenance records, $5000 isn't too bad. I've seen pickups with 200,000 miles and that have engine or transmission problems going for $5000. My father was as UN-mechanical as you can get but he always told me that when you buy a used car, figure on brakes, tires, and battery. If you know someone who works on cars on the side, this van ought to be a decent buy. let them inspect it first though.

The following users liked this post:
jet vet (01-28-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 04:12 AM
markmiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great that you're considering a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van! Here's some information to help you decide if it's the right choice for you at the asking price:

Price:
  • Fairness: $5,000 for a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van with 96,000 miles can be a fair price depending on several factors, including:
    • Condition: Overall condition of the van, including rust, interior wear, and mechanical soundness.
    • Conversion features: Amenities and features included in the conversion (kitchenette, seating layout, etc.).
    • Local market: Used car prices can vary significantly based on your location.
  • Recommendations:
    • Research similar vans: Check online listings and resources like Kelley Blue Book to get a sense of comparable prices for vans in similar condition and features.
    • Get a mechanic's inspection: Before buying, have a qualified mechanic inspect the van to identify any potential issues and estimate repair costs. This can help you negotiate the price or walk away if necessary.
Common issues:
  • Engine: These vans were known for reliable 5.2L V8 engines, but common issues include oil leaks, transmission problems, and overheating (especially if not properly maintained).
  • Rust: Check for rust on the frame, undercarriage, and body panels, as it can be a major concern in older vehicles.
  • Conversion components: Inspect the conversion features (appliances, plumbing, electrical) for proper functioning and potential leaks or damage.
  • Mileage: While 96,000 miles might seem low, remember this is a 26-year-old vehicle. Regular maintenance and repairs are crucial at this age.
Additional considerations:
  • Ownership costs: Factor in potential maintenance, repairs, and fuel costs, which can be higher for older vehicles.
  • Reliance on others: As you mentioned not working on vehicles yourself, consider the cost and availability of reliable mechanics for repairs and maintenance.
  • Alternatives: Explore newer, potentially more reliable conversion vans that might offer peace of mind despite a higher initial cost.
Overall:

Buying a used vehicle, especially an older one, comes with inherent risks. Carefully weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks based on your needs, budget, and mechanical reliance. Consider a mechanic's inspection and price negotiation before making a decision. Remember, your safety and financial well-being are paramount.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van