New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Whats up!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 AM
robert97dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up!!

Whats up everyone. I just found this site and figured I would show off my rig. I will start from the begining when I bought it august of '05

This is my '01 dodge ram that I am building.

This is all the specs on it when I bought it.
'01 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2L 318, auto tranny, NP231 t-case.
When I bought it had
Interior Accessories:
custom console
Triple A-pillar guage pod -- Transmission temp, air/fuel guage, fuel pressure guage
Full length excab overhead console
12 disc changer w/remote
laser and radar detector
pc76 CB w/single 4’ antenna
remote starter system
TV tuner, FM modulator and antenna
DVD player

Suspension:
4.5" Diesel coils up front
Dual Rancho 9000 shocks
Skyjacker 7"+ Adjustable trac-bar
Skyjacker pitman arm for 5" kit
SKyjakcer 5" arms and relcation brackets
Superlift 5.5" leaf springs in the rear
Homemade steering brace

Axles- tires::
D44 front and chrysler 9.25 rear
4:56 gears front and rear
Lock right locker up front
38X15.50 Super swamper TSL Radials
15X10 Chrome wagon wheel rims

Exterior:
Ranchand style front and rear bumpers
Custom made rock sliders
Headache rack modified with bed rails
2- 50 watt driving
2-50 watt fog light
2-50 watt light facing rear hooked to AUx switch
Hella 550s driving lights
full length tool box
rear reciever hitch

Other accesories::
York on board air compressor.
6 gallon tank mounted under front bumper
6 gallon tank mounted under bed
Drop in bed liner

Engine:
MSD wires
Mopar PCM

Trans:
Remote filter
Aux transmission cooler

When I first bought it. Next to my old dodge on 35's.

We went to a OHV park called shiloh ridge and before we went I removed the fender flares and hoist out of the bed so that they didnt get broke and I could still sell them.

The only wheelin pic I got of my truck on the 1st trip out. THat was a pretty good hill and I walked right up it good for being a full size rig.

Next thing to go was the tool box and headache rack

Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 AM
robert97dodge
Professional
Default RE: Whats up!!

In november of last year I sold my old truck so I ordered more parts. I ordered 1.7 Harland Sharp Roller rockers, Edelbrock Ceramic coater shorty headers, high flow carsound cats, Magnaflow mufflers, 2.5" pipe to cats 3" pipe from cats to mufflers, Flex-a-Lite 290 electric fans, Dual optima red top batteries, Mopar R/T cam, Mopar Double rolling timing chain, Mopar performance, Valve springs, retainers, keepers, seals, Mopar peformance roller lifters, MSD box, tach adapter, and blaster coil. And for the tranny I ordered a transgo shift kit, and a TCI deep tranny pan. I havent installed the stuff in the tranny yet.

Then in febuarary of last year the TSL's wore out so I started looking for new tires. I found a set of 40X12.50 michelin military tires. I got 5 of them for $200. THe bad thing was that I had to find some 20" wheels. So I checked with a local hub cap and tires store and got 5 20" black steel dodge spare tire wheel for $50 a piece. So I got 5 40" tire and 20" wheels for $560. ALso I had to remove the sliders so that they tires would not hit them on the back. If I would of hit a bump they would of hit the sliders.

I had those on there for a month and the night before we was supposed to go back to shiloh ridge I managed to strip out my pinion in my rear axle. So it was time for one tons. I had a 14BFF and a '01 Dodge D60 that I had bought to use on my old truck but didnt get them finished. So I decided to go ahead and get the 14 bolt ready and put it in just to get back on the road. I ordered up my 5:13 gears and gathered the last of my parts to finish up my disk brakes on it. I already had the brackets, calipers, rotors, spring perches, and a 1410 yoke with u-bolts for the axle. Also to run the 14BFF I had to have the carrier machined so that a D70 tone ring would fit on there and I had to mount the speed senor on top of the axle so that my speedometer would work and my tranny would shift right. And while the truck was apart I removed the bed and installed my shackle flip.

Before shackle flip

After

Tone ring on carrier

As you can see here it didnt take much to get the tone ring on there.

Housing ready for gears

Bad *** yoke!!

1410 yoke and spicer u-joint installed on rear DS. They did that for $100.

Moveable once again

Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 AM
robert97dodge
Professional

I drove with the small tires for a couple days until I could get my new wheels. I went about 3 miles the first trip and the left rear wheel locked up. Luckly I was going slow because I heard it makeing some noise. What had happened was when I put the hubs on I cleaned them out really good with brake parts cleaner. Well I didnt think about the bearing being dry from doing that and I spun a inner bearing on the driver side. It ended up taking some gridning and lots of pounding to get the race off of the axle tube.

$100 for all new bearings, races, and seals.

When putting this back together I tryed to find out if the gears should be packed with grease or just pour gear oil on them before installing. Well I got more feedback to pack them with grease so I did that. I had to take it apart again about a week later to replace the seal again and all of the grease was washed out and replaced with gear oil. So from now on I just make sure there is gear oil in the hub and on the bearings before I reinstall it.

Now it was time for the new wheels. SInce I was 8 lug I couldnt just go and buy cheap spare tire wheels becuase the new dodge 3/4 and one tons didnt come with 20" wheels. So I got on discount tires website and found the cheapest wheel I could get. It is called the Jax HD. I went down and ordered 3 because that was all that I could afford at the time. It was $450 for 3.

I was still running the stock D44 up front with 4:56 gears so I was without 4wd for a while since I had 5:13 in the rear. The extra gearing helped out a lot. I finally got the money for 2 more wheels and I gutted the D60 and installed new ball joints. It ended up taking my 5 hours to replace the damn ball joints. THey were a major PITA. I decided to remove the inner axle shafts, ring and pinion and just run the outer axle shafts just so that I could drive the truck with the D60 under there.

Then I started ordering 5:13 yukon gears, install kit, and spicer carrier from performanceoffroadcenter.com. THey hooked me up pretty good. I also order a set of 5-733X spicer u-joints which are pretty damn beefy and I noticed that they use a plastic ring on the caps instead of the rubber and the caps actually snap on really tight. And I ordered a posi-lok so that I could get rid of my vacuum actuated CAD and I had to order a couple bushing from the dealership.

Once I got all of this stuff installed I was able to go wheelin finally. We went to this place called shiloh ridge. The tires really impressed me a lot. I didnt get a lot of action shots though.

This here is a bronco of 44's REALLY stuck. He got stuck friday night and they left it there all night. This suburban belongs to a friend of mine that owns a 4wd shop in town. He backed up to it and didnt move it. So I backed up and hooked on to him. A few good pullls and we yanked it right out but not before ripping the guys crossemember off and breaking a strap rated at 80K lbs.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:06 AM
robert97dodge
Professional

Also I am in the process of building a set of half doors. I had a spare set of doors from a parts truck that I built that I am working on.

I also installed a set of 2.5" exhaust cut outs right before we went on the shiloh trip. Well a friend of mine works in town at a off road shop and I went up there and he wanted to hear them. I popped the caps off and drove down the road and when I came back I put on a show for them.

A week after the shiloh ridge trip we had some local mud races I entered in and I borrowed a set of 44's from a buddy of mine and I was real impressed with how well the 318 turned the 44's. I ran street stock and 44 bog. In street stock it is a real shallow pit and is more of a sand drag. The first night I ran a set of 38.5"X11" boggers and I just blew them out and the truck didnt go real fast cause the tires were spinning so much. I ended up running a 5.5 in a 150foot pit. Then in the bog I got 33" in a pit that was swalling trucks with 44's and even a could tractor tires trucks with 60's. Only 1 guy on 44's made it through the pit and only 3 tractor tire trucks made it through. The 2nd night I ran the bog first and they dug it out some because it took so long since everyone got stuck so I ended up with a run of 58 feet. I had plenty of power to turn the tires in 1st gear but if I hit 2nd it bogger down. I learned that the 1st night. SO I just left it in 1st the 2nd night and got further but still didnt have enough wheel speed to get through it. Then on the 2nd night for street stock I just left the 44's on and I ran a 5.1. I ended up placing 7th out of about 22-24 trucks. I figure thats not bad considering I was the 2nd biggest truck in streeet stock. I even beat a couple stock Z71's.

With the 44's on the truck I could clear them going straight and I could turn just not real sharp. My plan is to run 42" TSLs and I think that once I push the front axle forward some I will be able to clear the 42's without having to raise the truck.

This was after the first night.

Next to my buddies Arctic cat prowler on 46's.

At the end of night 2.

Also since I have bought the truck I have got some toys for the inside too.

Kicker solo baric L7 15" subs
Memphis 1000D amp
Memphis 2004 amp for highs
Infinity components up front
Infinity coaxial for the rear
JVD in dash double din screen/DVD

Future plans:

10" full throttle coils for the front
custom made longs arms using 1.25" QA1 heim joints 2"OD 1.50"ID DOM
Reindex ring
High angle front driveshaft
Linked rear suspension with air bags

Here is a pic of the joints I will be using. I just ordered 4 of them. I will be needing to order a lot more but I am having just buy a little at a time.

Also currently the tranny is out on the truck. It went out on the august 30 with only 50K miles on it. I just got through pulling the old one tonight. The torque converter basically came apart inside and stopped up the valve body and it doesnt like to shift into gear. I just purchased another tranny off ebay a guy rebuilt 6 weeks to use as a extra so it doesnt have any mile on it.

Here is what all is done to the tranny that I am geting. TCI transmission rebuild kit. Added items internal of the transmission are new steels and clutches, Kevlar front band, shift kit, 5 planetary gear set, and 2qt. deeper aluminum transmission pan (with drain plug). Also I got it for $628 shipped!!! I also had to order a new torque converter last week. I went with PATC.com and ordered up there viper series converter and I got a 2200 stall. Hopefully the tranny and converter will be here this week and I can put the truck back together before the weekend.

Also I ordered up a set of Mopar tow mirros last week for it and they should be here in a couple days. And I think that is about it for now.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Tani1500
Champion

holy **** rob, i said join not right a damn novel. anyway welcome to the site and you know how to reach me if you need anything

Old 09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
robert97dodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: Tani1500

holy **** rob, i said join not right a damn novel. anyway welcome to the site and you know how to reach me if you need anything

Most of this was copyed from another site that. I started a build up page on that site so I just copyed it.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned

Welcome to the site. Awsome looking rigs.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Very nice truck man. Seen you over at PS, glad to have ya here!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
DD06

Kewl Truck.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 AM
sharx ram
Champion

Welcome to the forum [8D] Nice truck