North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Street Legal Ice Racing in upstate New York

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:45 AM
Mike Kamm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Legal Ice Racing in upstate New York

Like to take your Neon out on a fresh snow covered road and hang the tail out in the winter?

Check this out:

You could come out and race your daily driven car wheel to wheel on a custom plowed 1 to 1.5 mile ice road course with the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club [A.M.E.C.] It's just $35 a day to race. That includes a warm up session and three 20 minute heat races adding up to over an hour of seat time each race day!

All you need to race is a fire extinguisher a set of quality winter tires [studded or unstudded], and a Snell 95 or better helmet. There are no roll bars required in this class. They are encouraged as is any other type of safety equiptment you'd like to have. But most people just drive to the lake and run their stock street cars. Look how w-i-d-e the tracks are plowed for lots of racing room to pass safely.

This is A.M.E.C. Ice Racing's Street Legal [SL] and SLU [Unstuddd] classes and the've had a strict "No Contact" rule in place for two full seasons now. It is the cleanest wheel to wheel road racing you will find anywhere. In fact, it's comparible to Vintage racing where you make darn sure that you avoid contact at all costs. Unlike SCCA, DIRT, or NASCAR, it is rare that anyone's car even gets a scratch. Obviously there's no guaranty of no contact, but these classes have shown that you really can drive your car to the race, race all day and drive it home no worse for wear. The SL classes are where you'd run your stock street car [no engine mods] carefully and with respect for everyone else's car on the track. You could say it's like a gentlemen's class, but there are several ladies running very competitively too each season.

That's Tom Baird's 2.0 liter Neon seen here at the start of a race this past February. He beat them all on this day! Imagine what an ACR or even an SRT 4 could do!

Sound interesting? Please take a look at this new SL and SLU class web page from our Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club [A.M.E.C.] website at http://www.icerace.com/, and click on Street Legal tab on the bottom left.

Mike Kamm
A.M.E.C. V.P.
Albany, New York

Old 11-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Mike Kamm
Default RE: Street Legal Ice Racing in upstate New York

Tom Baird's 2.0 liter Neon beat all comers at the Lake George Winter Carnival last season. He'll be back for more this January. Anyone else got a winter car to bring out for some fun?

Old 11-16-2004, 03:01 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow..how interesting...

Old 11-16-2004, 10:12 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

that does look fun tho

Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Mike Kamm

ORIGINAL: ramfan5.9

that does look fun tho
Open invitation to forum members:

If your car has a 4 x 100mm bolt pattern, I will lend you a set of studded tires for the day!

Old 11-22-2004, 11:05 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

nah...more into trucks dont have a neon
thanx n e ways tho

Old 11-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Mike Kamm

ORIGINAL: ramfan5.9

nah...more into trucks dont have a neon
thanx n e ways tho
No problem, We have lots of tough Dodge diesel trucks in our club. They all do an excellent job of pushing all of that snow out of the way so we can race.

Here's some aerial shots I took a couple years ago. This will give you all a better idea of what we do.

It doesn't just look like fun, it is!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Mike Kamm

Here's another possibility for those who want to get out on the ice, but don't have the experience or confidence to run door to door.

It's an annual event called the "Studs on Ice" and it is a solo time trial event on the same huge frozen road race course! We have it the day before our regular weekly wheel to wheel races. So if you're coming from out of state, you can run the "Studs" event on Saturday, stay overnight in a local motel and race in the Street Legal or Street Legal Unstudded classes on Sunday! You'll have the advantage of already knowing the track like the back of your hand.

This year's event will be held on Saturday February 12th, on Round Lake in Round Lake, NY. Round Lake is about 20 minutes north of Albany, right off exit 11 of I-87 a.k.a. the "Northway". I will post a link to the actual event flyer as soon as I post one. It will have directions and motel info in it.

By the way, even though the event is called "Studs on Ice" you are not required to have studded tires. But proper winter tires are almost mandatory, such as Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokian Hakka Q's, Goodyear Ultra Grip, Michelin X-Ice, etc. Otherwise if you try to run all season or even regular summer tires, you will most likey end up needing to be pulled from a snow bank. Yes, all season tires are that bad on the ice.

Take a look at last year's "Studs on Ice" results and pics here: http://www.icerace.com/Studs-on-ice.htm.

Cheers,
blownb310

Old 12-19-2004, 01:23 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

DAMN!!! That looks like a helluva lot of fun!!! I'd just be afraid that the other idiots racing would hit me!

Makes me wish I still had my Miata....and some kick *** 195 winter tires. That car would own on that type of track!

Old 12-22-2004, 01:57 AM
Mike Kamm

ORIGINAL: SexySRTChick

DAMN!!! That looks like a helluva lot of fun!!! I'd just be afraid that the other idiots racing would hit me!
Thanks for the reply, SexySRTChick.
Really the only "incidents' are usually from people that drive a bit over their heads and slide off of the track into a snowbank. Not usually any damage [exept for their egos].

Makes me wish I still had my Miata....and some kick *** 195 winter tires. That car would own on that type of track!
We do have a couple of Miatas running with us, with very experienced drivers I might add. They do quite well, but they are not quite a match for a good FWD car on the ice.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Ice Racing in upstate New York