North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

What kind of Dodge truck trashed my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is impossible to tell just from looking at it that it truly is a 3500. After all, that could really be a 2500 with some 3500 door emblems. I'd be curious to see if you can get a copy of the window sticker. I am still skeptable considering I have never in my life seen a 2nd gen 3500 that is single rear axle. I know the third gens now have this option.

Also, in my quest to find the real answer, check this
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/rampickup3500/review.html

(4th paragraph under the heading "Used Dodge Ram 3500 Models")

The previous-generation Dodge Ram 3500 was produced from 1994-2002. The base engine was a 5.2-liter V8 engine, with an 8.0-liter V10 or 5.9-liter Cummins turbodiesel optional. Unlike the current generation, the 3500 was only available with a dual rear axle. In 1998, the Quad Cab was introduced with twin rear-hinged doors and a larger backseat. The interior was also redesigned that year, which included the addition of a standard passenger-side airbag with a cutoff switch. In 2000, improvements were made to the steering and suspension, while a high-output Cummins turbodiesel joined the lesser oil-burner in 2001.

EDIT

Also, check this out (under section 2.4)

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/faq.html

Like I said, I would really like to see a legitimate copy of the window sticker when you get the chance.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-07-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try to get the window sticker, he has had it since new so i know it is stock for a fact.(he isnt really the modding type of guy haha, maybe i can get him to join here and start modding =P

Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
I will try to get the window sticker, he has had it since new so i know it is stock for a fact.(he isnt really the modding type of guy haha, maybe i can get him to join here and start modding =P
I am more curious than anything. Yeah, sign him up.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Can you get the actual video footage to put somewhere for download (what's playing on the computer)? We may be able to see more detail that way.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Yea maybe we can see it better!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
LUBINATOR
Default Hope you get the idiot

I do hope you catch the guy so he/his insurance can pay for what he did.

On a side note I definately would park my car between the lines next time to help prevent this, or pick another spot if that was the only way to get my car in place.

I see this all the time, being an officer, and it starts big fights when one car takes more than the allotted space.

Regardless I really hope you get him especially because he "hit and ran".

Also you may be able to have that image "sharpened" up and get more vehicle info, maybe even a partial plate or other identifying mark.

Good Luck

Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
first miata

Well as a Father/Son project we found the truck on Monday. It was in the last place we looked.

Turns out the truck is a 1994 Dodge 1500 POS. It did not have a roll pan instead of a rear bumper. The bumper had rusted off and had not been replaced. It most likely should not be on the road. From the video I thought it was a nice looking truck.

What I have found out about video over the years is that it can be very misleading and you never get the exact thing you desire from the video.

Such as this is a brand new store with a state of the art system and they cannot pick up plate numbers at night. The system is going to be improved in short order. So this incident will improve security at the store and everyones safety.

The reason I had the car parked in the way it was is:

1. The camera keeping an eye on my expensive and heavily modified toy.

2. The spot on the drivers side is a handicapped spot. I was crowding the handicapped spot so the the spot on had plenty of room for someone to open a door.

I do understand the point of proper parking but the perp parked in a handicapped spot.

So here is what happened. I took my son along with me on Monday to observe my interactions with the various people I would deal with during the day.

I was collecting rents, scheduling contractors, installing carbon monoxide detectors, and probably engaged in transactions/conversation/ negotiations with over a hundred people.

In between we cruised every place of business within the City. Looking for that Dodge truck. Turns out it was in the first place we looked in morning but had been secreted inside. I knew that was the spot to look.

So around 3:30 on Monday I work my way torward that side of town and there was the truck going the opposite direction on Rt 1. I changed direction and followed the truck with a few vehicles in between and was able to take a short cut to get directly behind the truck and observe the plate.

I contacted Police dispatch on the non emergency line and relayed who I was and the plate number of the vehicle and the direction we were heading. Dispatch called me back and was trying to work out an intercept of the truck during the after noon shift change. I said I would keep the truck in site.

Now here is thing please do not ever attempt this yourself.

This guy's arrest was immenent. He was going to be pulled over, ordered out of his vehicle at gun point, handcuffed on the ground, arrestted, and taken to the county jail.

Since I could see he was already gawking in the drivers side mirror I waved the pop up headlight at him for a few miles until he pulled over. After stopping a traffic light and having a good look.

So I pulled in front of him and left my vehicle. Son stayed behind. The man asked me what was up and how he could help me. I explained that a truck like his had damaged my car and he would be pulled over shortly and possibly detained by the Sheriffs department and we could resolve the situation with a short conversation.

He denied ever hitting my car but admitted to the place and time.

So I asked him to watch the video on my camera. I started the video and asked my son to come and hold the camera while I called dispatch back and called off the intercept. Once he saw the video he went and looked at the side of my car and apologized.

He explained that he did not believe any damage occurred.

I explained that if we did not return to the RPD right now he would be pulled over and arrested and his truck towed and impounded.

As incentive I told him that if he went directly to RPD I would remain mute on any charges and would leave it up to the investigating Officers discretion whether to press any charges. We went directly to RPD and he sucked it up and reported the accident.

He did recieve a summons for leaving the scene of a property damage accident. But he was not arrested, placed in handcuffs, and had to post bail.

Turns out the investigating LEO was sitting in traffic watching my disscussion with this man. And had written the mans plate number down on his hand.

We had to wait for about a half hour until he signed in and put on his uniform before he could come out and interview us.

I had to leave the room several times to take some cell phone calls and after my calls the other Officers came up and asked me how I managed to pull this off. They were smiling.

The truth is I should have allowed the Police to do the job we pay very dearly for them to do.. I had no business interfering once I gave them the plate number.

The deciding factor was that after following the truck for about a mile I knew who he was. He is the guy I get my cement from several times a year and he is a low level ***** who can mess up many future projects for me.

Since my small cement jobs alway's go into overtime this is the guy who calls me up and thinks he needs to bully me with an overtime charge. Since this cost is justified and billable I just write the check and tip the driver. And the guy who hit my truck alway's cowtows.

So please do not ever try to do this yourself. It can and will go horribly wrong for you.

Best of Luck

I thank everyone for their time and expertise.

Most of all Happy Motoring My Friends

Dale

Quick Reply: What kind of Dodge truck trashed my car?