GM on STRIKE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM on STRIKE!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pa...p;pageId=1.1.1

I didn't think the union had the nerve to pull it off. Go get 'em boys!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Default RE: GM on STRIKE!

Damn UAW...

Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this on autoblog a while ago. This is just ridiculous, are they seriously trying to convince GM to send more work overseas? If I was them I know I would, unions were necessary when they were formed, now they've reached the point of extreme greed. They're part of the reason domestics are falling behind foreign automakers.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Sorry, but I can't support the union. People down here work at Toyota for $14 an hour. The sub assemblies people make $11 an hour. Take away the union threat and the wages would go up.

Dusty

Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Altair

Saw this on autoblog a while ago. This is just ridiculous, are they seriously trying to convince GM to send more work overseas? If I was them I know I would, unions were necessary when they were formed, now they've reached the point of extreme greed. They're part of the reason domestics are falling behind foreign automakers.
ORIGINAL: dustyloins

Sorry, but I can't support the union. People down here work at Toyota for $14 an hour. The sub assemblies people make $11 an hour. Take away the union threat and the wages would go up.

Dusty

Quoted both for 100% truth. Do not get me wrong, unions are a good thing and can help out many a job or employee. However, their time as being the deciding factor on how people get paid is ridiculous. It's time for the unions to go away.

Think about this, why is it that very few businesses allow unions? Because it would KILL the economy. Notice, this was a planned walk out. They made sure the business could hack it for a few days but made sure to only do enough work for a lil breathing room in case they needed some extra time.

This is why more and more and more Americans are fed up with unions.....all we see is greed. It's also the reason why more foreign automakers are racking up sales and taking up the slack of the Big 3...

Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

My view on unions may be slightly biased due to growing up in Maine and hearing about Bath Iron Works going on strike practically all the time. It's so bad over there BIW is considered the joke of the state by many of us. When I was in high school I worked for my parents' company during the summers (Electrical contracter, commercial/industrial only). Any time someone was slacking or dicking off on the job site people would tell them "This ain't BIW". Now I don't know if all the jokes about them doing nothing are true or not but when they strike so often and over such petty issues that everyone in the state thinks they're lazy, overpaid, and don't work there's obviously something wrong with that picture.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

You guys just don't get it. Without the threat of strike what else can the union use as leverage? Also unless you work or have worked in a big 3 plant you do not understand the relationship management has toward us. Its almost a hatred. Without the union we could, and would be fired at will. They still try to do it even with the union. You make one small mistake and they want to hang your butt up by a sling. That is no joke as I have had it happen to me. There is no greed here, we are just trying to keep as much as we can. They are not asking for more than we already have. The main sticking point is this whole retire health plan. GM wants a refund clause if we go to a national health care plan. which is fine. But the union wants GM to back up the fund in case it dries up too fast. Seems fair to me to go both ways, but GM doesn't think so.

Jim I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Toyota workers in Ohio make 22-26 bucks an hour. They pay them almost the same as us to keep the union out. If we didn't make 25-28 an hour Toyota would not pay almost the same to keep the union out. So actually we our helping Toyota workers to make more money.

I just don't understand the hate toward the UAW workers. As you cheer on the demise of the union you cheer on the demise of the middle class as well. Also if you live in the metro Detroit area you are cheering on the complete destruction of the area. Why do you think the economy sucks around here? Its the loss of all the big three jobs, union and salary.

Of course its a planned walk out. You can't just have a wildcat strike. GM was the strike target. The UAW went three weeks past the deadline to work with GM. But GM wouldn't work with the union. We have already given concessions.

The reason why the big three is losing market share has nothing to do with the union. That is nothing more than a lie and you know it. We build just as good, or better car than the japs do. And for the most part we do better than a few german companies. The reason we are losing marketshare is two fold.

1. We have to sell something somebody wants to buy. WE don't control that, upper management does.

2. Americans are too stupid to realize that we are outsourcing ourselves right out of a job. It baffles me especially in the Detroit area how many imports I see on the streets. I want to walk up to them and slap them. And say do you realize that is why the housing market has plummeted around here? Thats why the state is in the financially mess its in today, and the schools? Because of the lost taxes from the wages from the lost big 3 jobs.

P.S. A lot of companies are still union. You just might not know them. A real big example is att.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

I don't have any hate towards the union workers at people, I dislike the organization. In my personal experience and what I've seen union companies are simply not competetive, the union is too much of a drain on the company. I realize unions were very necessary when they were created, since then the government has taken many steps to protect workers and I feel unions are not as necessary as they once were. I see many non-union companies with well-paid happy employees around where I live. As a matter of fact a union salter tried to recruit people from my parents' company, all of the employees told him to get lost, they had it better without the union and don't want union dues coming out of their paychecks.

A business is give and take, the employees and the employer need to work with each other for everything to run smoothly. I have a feeling the management might be a little nicer if they didn't feel the union would try to take them to the cleaners every chance they got. I could be completely wrong about that but there's plenty of companies without unions that treat employees well.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Some interesting background on GM and the UAW: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ab9U67cQvQBk

Quick Reply: GM on STRIKE!