Pontiac GTO Grand American Race Car:

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 01:52 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac GTO Grand American Race Car:

LAS VEGAS – Pontiac will expand its motorsports program in 2005 when the Pontiac GTO takes on European, Asian and American rivals in the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series. GM announced today that Pontiac will debut two production-based GTO race cars in the Grand American Series in midseason of 2005.
“We’ve found the right type of racing venue to demonstrate the performance capabilities of the Pontiac GTO,” said Doug Duchardt, GM Racing director. “ Pontiac has already achieved success in the Daytona Prototype class of the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series, and next year will expand its involvement to the GT division with a pair of Pontiac GTOs.”

Pontiac will become the first manufacturer to produce cars to meet the new GT regulations in 2005. The GTO race cars will have production-based LS2 small-block V-8 engines and retain the stock body design. They will incorporate safety features developed by GM Racing in the Corvette C5-R and Cadillac CTS-V racing programs. Teams and drivers will be announced at a future date.

“We plan to develop a race-winning package for Pontiac and then to offer GTO race cars for sale to independent teams,” said GM Racing road racing group manager Harry Turner. “We see great potential for the GT class in the Grand American Series. GM Racing will be an active participant in that growth by providing highly developed yet affordable vehicles. We will also provide comprehensive technical support for Pontiac teams.”

The Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series will showcase the Pontiac GTO’s potent capabilities. In production trim, the new-generation GTO offers a sophisticated blend of performance, handling, comfort and value. On the race track, the use of production-based powertrains and body panels will provide opportunities to demonstrate the GTO’s virtues against an international field of competitors that includes Ferrari, Porsche and BMW.

“The GTOs on race tracks will strongly resemble the GTOs in Pontiac showrooms,” said Turner. “The production body panels – hood, doors, roof, rear deck lid, and front and rear fascias – will be precisely duplicated in lightweight composite materials. Front and rear fender flares will accommodate wide racing tires, and a series-specified rear wing will add both aerodynamic balance and race car charisma.”

The new 6.0-liter (364 ci) LS2 engine that powers the production 2005 GTO provides a strong foundation for the racing version. In stock trim, the LS2 produces 400 horsepower; with only minor modifications developed by GM Powertrain, the LS2 easily achieves the 450-horsepower maximum output specified by Grand American regulations. Open exhaust headers, a free-flowing induction system, a competition camshaft and a road racing dry-sump oiling system are the only changes from stock. The LS2 engine is heir to the rich racing heritage of GM’s small-block V-8; the most successful production-based engine in motorsports.

In addition to the GTO road racing program announced today, Pontiac will continue its Pro Stock program in the NHRA Powerade Drag Racing Series in 2005.

“These programs closely align with one of GM’s strategies of racing vehicles that have clear relationships with their production counterparts,” said Duchardt. “It is important for both marketing and engineering reasons to have strong links between the products that we race and the products that we sell to our customers. These programs provide opportunities to improve both GM’s production and racing vehicles through the two-way exchange of technology, personnel and processes.”

Pontiac GTO Grand American GT Specifications

Engine: 6.0-liter LS2 small-block V-8
Horsepower : 450 @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 410 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm
Maximum RPM: 6800
Chassis: Purpose-built tube frame
Wheelbase: 109.8 inches
Track: 61.5 inches front; 60.4 inches rear
Curb weight : 2,700 lbs.
Suspension: Independent unequal A-arm front and rear
Brakes: Four piston AP calipers with 12.9-inch vented steel rotors
Wheels: 18 x 11.5 inches front and rear
Steering: Power-assisted rack and pinion
Tires: 295-660R18 front; 295-675R18 rear
Transmission: Xtrac 370GT 5-speed sequential transaxle

redriderbob

Old 11-03-2004, 02:00 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default Pontiac GTO Accessorized Concept:

Vehicle Highlights

With the 400-horsepower LS2 high performance small-block V-8 at the ready, the Pontiac GTO show vehicle comes with decidedly more power … and street presence. Many individual components come together to form a unique package that sets this GTO apart. From nose to tail, specific components give this GTO a lower, more aggressive look. Custom-designed performance equipment from airbox to exhaust adds power to back the GTO’s visual punch.

2005 model year production enhancements
6.0-liter LS2 V-8; 400 horsepower, 395 lb.-ft. of torque
Enhanced braking system
Larger rotors
Redesigned calipers
Enhanced booster and master cylinder
Symmetrical split exhaust
Custom accessories
Performance Appearance Package
Front and rear fascia extensions
Rocker panels
Unique spoiler
Modified converter back exhaust
Carbon fiber interior trim kit
Short throw performance shifter
Polished 18-inch wheels

redriderbob

Old 11-03-2004, 02:03 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default 2005 Pontiac Bonneville:

Bonneville is a looker
The Full-sized Pontiac has all of the ingredients of a good European touring sedan with a controlled ride and power
BRIAN HARPER
CanWest News Service
Montreal Gazette

Cruising a Toronto highway at 120 to 130 kilometres an hour with the rest of the late-rush-hour stragglers on my way to pick up the kid from work, several thoughts bounced around my brain. The first was that I have never been what one might call a "large-car person." Despite my height-advantaged body and my slippery slide into middle middle-age, I still gravitate to smaller cars, the sportier the better.

This being the case, my second thought was wondering why I felt totally relaxed behind the wheel of Pontiac's full-sized Bonneville GXP. With a length well over five metres, the Bonny is longer than most cars I drive and certainly larger than any car I have owned. Which led me to my third thought: When was the last time I drove a GM sedan displaying performance and handling characteristics that couldn't immediately be faulted? A firm, controlled ride - over fairly smooth tarmac, anyway - well-weighted steering and, best of all, a stout-hearted V-8 under the hood: Hey, these are the same ingredients of a good European touring sedan. Could the GXP be a poor man's 5-Series? And why haven't we auto journalists been singing the Bonny's praises?

Responding to the second question first, the answer is easy - Chrysler 300. The Brampton-built four-door with the polarizing design - especially in potent, Hemi-powered form - has been grabbing all the headlines. Why not? With the 340-horsepower, 5.7-litre V-8 under the hood, the 300C is more powerful, less expensive and more visually distinctive than the topline Bonneville - and the primary reason why 300s are outselling Bonnys by about nine to one through the first half of this year.

Yet, this is shorting the big Pontiac. With kudos to Bob (No More Ugly Cars) Lutz, GM's vice-chairman of product development, the Bonneville (indeed, all Pontiacs) has had all that unnecessary plastic body cladding - the automotive equivalent of breast implants - ripped from its flanks, revealing a sleek, aerodynamic body that might even be called shark-like. True, it's not nearly as conspicuous as Chrysler's flying brick, but it won't fall out of favour as fast as the 300 once the next great design influence comes along. Differentiating it from the lesser Bonnys are its front fascia, headlamps, tail lamps, chrome exhaust tips and spoiler.

Of more interest to the performance-minded is that the GXP, which was a late-2004 model addition, replaces the SSEi as the Uber-Bonny. Gone is the supercharged 3.8-litre OHV V-6. In its place is the milder form of the best engine in GM's holdings - the Northstar 4.6-litre DOHC V-8. Its 275 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque finally add some needed cojones to the throaty rumble emanating from the performance-tuned dual exhausts.

Punch the throttle and there is a quick intake of breath before the engine exhales a basso profundo roar and the Pontiac hurtles forward. It doesn't have the same slam as the Hemi-powered 300C, but it still delivers a healthy shove back into the seat.

Wrangling the V-8's output is GM's Hydra-Matic 4T80-E four-speed automatic transmission with a 3.71 final drive gear - one of the few weak links in the GXP. The tranny is well capable of handling the Northstar's power, but it's yestertech. At the asking price ($35,395 USD) for the Pontiac, a five-speed automatic with manual function (like in the Northstar-powered Caddy STS) should be included in the admission.

redriderbob

Old 11-03-2004, 02:11 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP:

Pictures of the new 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, powered by the new front wheel drive LS4 5.3L V-8 w/ 295 horsepower+...

redriderbob

Old 11-03-2004, 02:12 AM
LilMzRam
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP:

It's purty...'cept for that wing on it...but eh, well. Nice cars they've got coming our way! Too bad I'm a truck girl...[8D]

Old 11-03-2004, 02:15 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default 2006 Pontiac Torrent:

Here is offical drawings of the Chevrolet Equinox based 2006 Pontiac Torrent, which replaces the much hated Pontiac Aztek for the 2006 model year, in mid-2005.

redriderbob

Old 11-03-2004, 02:19 AM
LilMzRam
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2006 Pontiac Torrent:

That's supposed to look better? [:'(]

Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Vader
Champion

I have always like the GT, GT-P, now GTO (newer). They sound throaty and powerful.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:26 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*throws up* moooooooooooooooore mirada food.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:48 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=lol.gif]

I smell GM POOPY.

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO Grand American Race Car: