another 1st yr Tundra glitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default another 1st yr Tundra glitch

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...fsect=BREAKING

I guess the Durham NC workers in the AISIN plant up in Treyburn may have a slight problem with their product?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:54 AM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another 1st yr Tundra glitch

Toyota's Tundra pickup was hit with a double whammy last week. Angry consumers are peppering the Internet with complaints that the torque converter in the 2007 Tundra's six-speed transmission has problems disengaging during gearshifts -- a problem that Toyota acknowledges. Meanwhile, the Tundra 4x4 model took a broadside from magazine, which rated it "below average" in projected reliability.
Hell has frozen over! Or maybe this explains why that CEO left from Toyota a few weeks ago...

But let it be a lesson to the people who buy brand image for reliability, not everything they make is going to be rock solid...

Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Bruce_Lee

I am way ahead of you...

But some people just want to be the first ones on the block..

Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I don't buy most reliability ratings. Toyota has had some serious reliability problems in the past before this such as the oil sludge problem with their previous generation V6s and I4s. This is the second transmission problem Toyota has had in recent history.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Dakota_24

But whats funny; is its never been made a big deal like it is the domestics. If this was Dodge, Ford, or GM; it'd be all over the media, car mags, newspapers....etc!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Dakota_24

But whats funny; is its never been made a big deal like it is the domestics. If this was Dodge, Ford, or GM; it'd be all over the media, car mags, newspapers....etc!
Exactly, Toyota has been getting a free pass for years in these ratings. When the topic of oil sludge comes up, who gets the association with it. Chrysler due to the 2.7L engine. The 2.7Ls effected by thiswere only used in the Stratus/Sebring sedanand Intrepid/Concorde. Meanwhile, the Toyota problem covered the Camry, ES300, Celica, Sienna, Solara, Tacoma, Avalon, etc. The total of problems with Toyota was much higher as it covered more than one engine line, but Chrysler gets the blame because they don't like Chrysler. The most annoying thing was when I saw a report about this, they showed a Chrysler 3.2L starting as their transfer over to this issue. The 3.2L was not effected by this problem. The other manufacturers that had problems with this issue as wellwere featuredin quicksnapshotsall except Toyota who happened to have the biggest problem with all of this.

Another thing I get tired of is people constantly bashing Chrysler transmissions. Honda hashad more than their share of problems, but every time the magazines do a comparison (especially in theminivan ones) the editors always seem to get a kick out of slippingin the slam against Chrysler's transmissions even though the other manufactures are no where close toperfect on this issue.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Not of word of that has been in the local media here in San Antonio. I guess they don't want to **** off the several thousand Toyota workers in the area.......

Dusty

Old 10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Dakota_24

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Exactly, Toyota has been getting a free pass for years in these ratings. When the topic of oil sludge comes up, who gets the association with it. Chrysler due to the 2.7L engine. The 2.7Ls effected by thiswere only used in the Stratus/Sebring sedanand Intrepid/Concorde. Meanwhile, the Toyota problem covered the Camry, ES300, Celica, Sienna, Solara, Tacoma, Avalon, etc. The total of problems with Toyota was much higher as it covered more than one engine line, but Chrysler gets the blame because they don't like Chrysler. The most annoying thing was when I saw a report about this, they showed a Chrysler 3.2L starting as their transfer over to this issue. The 3.2L was not effected by this problem. The other manufacturers that had problems with this issue as wellwere featuredin quicksnapshotsall except Toyota who happened to have the biggest problem with all of this.

Another thing I get tired of is people constantly bashing Chrysler transmissions. Honda hashad more than their share of problems, but every time the magazines do a comparison (especially in theminivan ones) the editors always seem to get a kick out of slippingin the slam against Chrysler's transmissions even though the other manufactures are no where close toperfect on this issue.
It's not only 'Yota though. As you said Honda has been getting a pass on their transmission problems. I can attest for these problems first hand. My aunt bought a Honda Accord a few years ago and has had nothing but problems, and its /all tranny. But the thing is these people are still blind to these problems, and still keep and praise these automakers, but if these people had domestics that had the same prob; they'd be snap quick trading them in for imports.

My wife and I have friends that just bought a Kia, and do nothing but praise about how cheap it was and what a great warranty they get on them. The thing is; is I tried to tell them there is a reason why they have such a great warranty on 'em..cause they are crap; they are always in the shop. DUH!!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:40 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

It's not only 'Yota though. As you said Honda has been getting a pass on their transmission problems. I can attest for these problems first hand. My aunt bought a Honda Accord a few years ago and has had nothing but problems, and its /all tranny. But the thing is these people are still blind to these problems, and still keep and praise these automakers, but if these people had domestics that had the same prob; they'd be snap quick trading them in for imports.

My wife and I have friends that just bought a Kia, and do nothing but praise about how cheap it was and what a great warranty they get on them. The thing is; is I tried to tell them there is a reason why they have such a great warranty on 'em..cause they are crap; they are always in the shop. DUH!!!!
What'seven more annoyingis when youcompare service guides. The service guides I have seen with Toyotas have you replace items a lot more frequently than with domesticcars. What happens is instead of these items eventually breaking due to wearand tear, they replace them (normally extremely prematurely) naturally at the customer's expense andcall it routine service. This includes a numerous number of gaskets and sometimes sensors. My friend had this done on her '99 Camry and paid $1,200 for her 90K mile maintenance. That is insane! Mine was but a mere fraction of that amount.

The other problem with Japanese cars is when these problems do happen, the cost of replacing the parts is a lot more expensive. I remember hearing that a person spend somewhere close to $300 for a rebuilt alternatorforan Accord. The 96 Olds Ciera (a car I stillput asidea special placeto hate it with still to this day) I had five years agohad the same problem and a rebuilt one only cost me $80.

I think most of Chrysler's problems these days comes from uneducated customers taking their cars to the wrong places. My cousin just about brought his 03 Grand Cherokee to a fast lube place for his transmission, and before he got a chance to do that I asked them what transmission fluid they planned on using for the transmission fluid flush and they answered "Mercon!"[:@][sm=headbang.gif] They didn't even have ATF+4 available. No big surprise that it has taken so long for their reputation to come back when the shops don't even have the right stuff.

Your right about the extreme warrantee that they offer standard. The reason why they do that was to get people over the fear of the reputation they developed with having reliability problems. The only logical problem though about us saying this is someone could claim the same about the lifetime warrantee.

Quick Reply: another 1st yr Tundra glitch