Dealer Rip Off's

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
paladin06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Rip Off's

Now someone tell me why Chrysler can NOT do this..

Nissan attempting to reduce markups on GT-R orders

Filed under: Sports/GTs, Nissan

Pre-orders for the 2009 Nissan GT-R have already begun, with 691 certified dealers across the US ready to service the new offering. The expected sales volume is in the range of 2,500 vehicles for the first year and 1,500 anually after that. Do the math and you'll see the equation adds up to limited consumer availability. Mix that with high demand and you know that markups follow. Eager enthusiasts are up in arms over the possibility that their greatest desire might he priced out of reach as a result. Even Nissan expects to see its dealers make an attempt to cash in.

Hoping to alleviate fears of $60,000 fees tacked onto the $70,000 GT-R, Nissan North America spokesman Darryll Harrison spoke with Inside Line about the automaker's actions aimed at curtailing dealer markup. After all, Nissan worked hard to create a high performance machine that sits in a more affordable price range and it wants it to reach its originally intended consumers. Harrison revealed that not only is Nissan requiring all GT-R sales to go through dealership management staff, but paperwork must also be filed with Nissan North America's regional sales offices. The term "counsel" was used to describe the interaction between the dealership and regional sales office. What this "counseling" entails is unknown, but sounds like it involves discouraging dealerships from engaging in egregious rip-off artistry. How successful this approach will be remains to be seen.
[/align]

Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM
OhioGearHead
Default RE: Dealer Rip Off's

The Nissan GTR is on par with the Viper, Vette, and realistically Porsches.

Their problem is not alot of people in America know what it's heritage is, or what the car can really do. In America Chevy can't keep Z06's on the show room floor. Everywhere else in the world they are just a $70,000 american car. And sales aren't as good.

Nissan is trying to avoid pricing itself out of selling the GTR's in america. In Japan they can't keep them still for fifteen minutes with out one being bought. For a few years in America they will be a "$70,000 japanese car."

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

plus the huge markups only happen on the higher end models.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
ohlarikd
Amateur

ORIGINAL: OhioGearHead

The Nissan GTR is on par with the Viper, Vette, and realistically Porsches.

Their problem is not alot of people in America know what it's heritage is, or what the car can really do. In America Chevy can't keep Z06's on the show room floor. Everywhere else in the world they are just a $70,000 american car. And sales aren't as good.

Nissan is trying to avoid pricing itself out of selling the GTR's in america. In Japan they can't keep them still for fifteen minutes with out one being bought. For a few years in America they will be a "$70,000 japanese car."
I think you underestimate the strong following the GTR has in America. People who think its just a $70K japanese car are most likely not in the market for a sports car of this caliber. Edmunds just tested one in Japan, and it did a 3.3 second 0-60 and a 11.6 1/4 mile. That beats anything they have ever tested, included 911 Turbos, Z06s, and Vipers. It beat the Z06 and 911 Turbo in the slalom as well. People are VERY aware of this car, and it will be impossible to get due to the limited numbers being imported. Thus, Nissan is trying to prevent gigantic markups, which would certainly occur.

I don't understand the 'pricing itself out of selling GTRs' line - the dealer marks up what he can get. If he can't get it, then the markup will drop. The car MSRP is 70K, which is a huge bargain, so there is plenty of room to go up, unless Nissan can keep some reigns over its dealers. Good for them!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 PM
OhioGearHead

ORIGINAL: ohlarikd
I think you underestimate the strong following the GTR has in America. People who think its just a $70K japanese car are most likely not in the market for a sports car of this caliber. Edmunds just tested one in Japan, and it did a 3.3 second 0-60 and a 11.6 1/4 mile. That beats anything they have ever tested, included 911 Turbos, Z06s, and Vipers. It beat the Z06 and 911 Turbo in the slalom as well. People are VERY aware of this car, and it will be impossible to get due to the limited numbers being imported. Thus, Nissan is trying to prevent gigantic markups, which would certainly occur.

I don't understand the 'pricing itself out of selling GTRs' line - the dealer marks up what he can get. If he can't get it, then the markup will drop. The car MSRP is 70K, which is a huge bargain, so there is plenty of room to go up, unless Nissan can keep some reigns over its dealers. Good for them!
Good point.

I read the refrence to "another japanese car" in road and track when they were talking about it. I forget who wrote the article but it make sense. Nissan will have to do alot of marketing to get it well known over here. The skyline has a titanic following in the 'Tuner' community, not in the exotic community. The article was kinda pointing out that Vette's and Vipers are well known here. Not over seas, hence the Skyline is well know overseas among the general population, but very small number know of or care about the Vette and Viper.

It is a bad *** machine. Bone stock it shattered lap records at nurbuging (sorry I probbaly misspelled)in germany that race cars put down.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
ninetysixyenko

never have liked the skyline or any other nissan but the 250Z, and still, not much love their. i think they are to 'godly' and to looked up to, of a car. even IF they are all that(ususally, they aren't), everyone makes to big of a deal over them IMO.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
OhioGearHead

I know what you mean. The 240SX, 350Z, Skyline all seem to be cars you enjoy or hate. I kinda like the 240SX. But honestly they can have the others.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

If i remember correctly from that video, theGTR was 2nd in the slalom to the new viper.
Not by much though.

Quick Reply: Dealer Rip Off's