Good News For Anti-Ford Supporters!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good News For Anti-Ford Supporters!

Ford struggling to catch up with demand for all-wheel drive equipped vehicles
AMY WILSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 2/8/05
Ford Motor Co. underestimated the market's appetite for all-wheel drive.

Demand for awd versions of the Ford Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle sport wagon and Mercury Montego sedan is outstripping supply.

And the automaker can't turn up production quickly at its Chicago assembly plant because Swedish supplier Haldex AB has limited capacity to produce Ford's awd transfer cases.

"We can't build enough all-wheel drives and high series," says Ford Division President Steve Lyons.

All-wheel drive is an increasingly popular option. Newer awd entries include the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Cadillac STS.

Ford Division expected 15 percent of Five Hundred models to sell with awd. But since going on sale in September, the sales rate has been 25 percent.

Lyons says he has a 40-day supply of awd Five Hundreds, compared with a 70-day supply for front-wheel-drive versions.

Ford expected 40 percent of Freestyle buyers to choose awd, but the actual rate is 55 percent. Mercury expected 30 percent of Montego buyers to choose awd, but the actual rate is 34 percent.

Dealers want more awd cars.

"It's nearly impossible to get a retail order scheduled for all-wheel-drive," said Martin Gubbels of Big Sky Ford-Lincoln-Mercury in Torrington, Wyo.

In some cases, Ford's regional sales personnel have told dealers they can get an awd model if they take a handful of fwd vehicles, Gubbels said.

Ford spokesman Dave Reuter said that's not a nationwide practice.

"Clearly we have to give something to the dealers," Reuter said. "If we don't have enough all-wheel drives, you have to give them a front-wheel drive or give them nothing. You can imagine what our preference is."

All-wheel drive is a $1,700 stand-alone option.

Through January, Ford sold 36,510 Five Hundreds, Freestyles and Montegos.
Source: Topix.com

-Matt-

Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
LINTS aka pocket dust
Rookie
Default RE: Good News For Anti-Ford Supporters!

Well i hate to admit it but eventhough i own the Ram and love it and wouldnt purchase a Ford product I work for a Lincoln Mercury dealer and customers want the AWD Montego like crazy and we cant get them but the stand alone FWD are staring to pile up. We've lost quite a few lincoln ls customers to the 300 though I try to hold in my excitment for them LOL

Old 02-10-2005, 12:20 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

thats not good. it means they have to much support and demand. i would rather hear they have 200 days supply because people don't want to buy their garbage.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:11 AM
ptschett
Professional

Yeah I don't see how this is good news for Ford haters. It's great news for Ford dealers who'll be able to jack the prices on AWD 500's (at least till they start driving people toward 300 AWDs). I say congrats to Ford for somehow making that car appealing to some people in basically the same market as the 300/Magnum despite its serious lack of power. I do kind of like the high seating in the 500. It's a weird feeling to lower yourself in a car and find your butt's actually more than 6" above your feet. I thought it felt very comfortable when I sat in one a few months ago.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:13 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be that they just underestimated the demand too.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

Yeah - this is GOOD news for the blue oval. People want their cars.

I'm puzzled though, because I just read a NY Times article saying that the 500 wasn't selling well - maybe just not as well as Ford projected.

The 500 has more interior volume and trunkspace than the 300. The styling isn't 'knockout' but I think it will wear well over the years.

Despite less hp, the 203hp model with CV transmission is about as fast as the 3.5 L 300.

The 500 might not be for the hardcore enthusiast, but it is a good value. It blows the Taurus and Crown Victoria into the weeds in terms of interior room. Only thing is the gas mileage could be better for a practical sedan. I see the Crown Vic gets 18mpg city - pretty close to the 500 rating. Then again, the 500 is basically a 'full size' car, at least on the inside.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

thats not good. it means they have to much support and demand. i would rather hear they have 200 days supply because people don't want to buy their garbage.
EXACTLY! What's good about that?

Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Not really "good news"... but Ford is losing profit via this.

-Matt-

Quick Reply: Good News For Anti-Ford Supporters!