New Diesel 2007 Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Diesel 2007 Ford

ORIGINAL: dakotaboy

basically how i understand it is that the cummings 5.9 straight 6 has always been a diesel motor.

ford and chevy, with their v8 diesels are pos because they have both had to modify their gas engines to be diesel compatitable.
wrong.

the only gasser change over was the horrendous chevy 350 Diesel where GM literaly took a 350, threw diesel heads on it and let-r-rip. the engine just wasnt strong enough to handle the higher drive pressure of diesel fuel.

the first ford diesel for automotive use came from International. the NA 7.3 ( I think) for Chevy it was that 350 diesel, but then they wised up and built an engine that was designed just for diesel, but still turned into a boat anchor.

if you want an engine that has been around for the longest, maybe not in an automotive use, but the Cummins 6b, which is the same as the 6bt, and ISB, only naturaly asperated has been around since Cummins first started produceing engines. this engine started it's life on the farm, but it was when Dodge started looking at it for automotive applications in '88 when it evolved to what we know today. The 5.9 can be found on the farm, on the road, in the water, and under the ground. something none of the other companys can say.

when the 6bt was in testing for the Ram, Dodge actualy gave Cummins a few trucks to play with. The only thing they had to do was to have that 6bt between the frame rails. when Cummins was done, the frame was hacked on, twisted, and re-welded, the front suspension was blown out, and all trucks had the drive shafts and axels either twisted off or blown apart. When Dodge asked what happened the Cummins engineers responded that the trucks just cannot withstand the weight and torque of the engine at the current state. Dodge went back to the drawing board and specialty built a frame just for the engine. this time they got things right except the drive shafts kept being wrung off, or the u-joints were being split in half. Back in 88, the Cummins was only produceing 160hp and 440lb-ft. but what many dont know is the 6bt can easily be turned up to 500-600 hp. Dodge only wanted a Diesel, they did it right by going to a company like ford did that the only thing they do is build diesel engines.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:18 PM
dieselram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't make sense, why would Ford release a 6.4 V-8 when they are buying out Cummins?

Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dieselram

This doesn't make sense, why would Ford release a 6.4 V-8 when they are buying out Cummins?

maybe it will turn Ford around and give them an engine that actualy has some life. . .and ballz[sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 02-28-2006, 08:22 PM
87ram
Veteran

Really, yeah right now Dodge and Cummins is the king. But if Ford buys out Cummins then Dodge will be left to survive on their own. I'm pretty sure that Mercades can't match that kind of diesel.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
jhalfhill
Rookie

i can remember being in elementary school (mid 90's) and hearing people say how "ford owns cummins" "ford is buying cummins". a decade later, i've yet to see it happen.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

Ford doesn't own Cummins, nor is it buying it. It's even on their official website. I highly doubt we'll see a TT diesel for awhile.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
ChevroletDieselGuy

Who ever they guy that was talking about the Duramax who seemed educated, I can assure you was not. Yes the early diesels from chevy were built by chevrolet themselves, and definetly were not the best of engines. And secondly the Duramax is not built by chevrolet and is not an old 6.2 punched to 6.5. The Duramax is a produced engine built by Izuzu, crap is that the right spelling, ne way and is a great reliable quiet and and extremely potential filled motor. I currently have 2 pickups, 06 chevy duramax crew cab long bed 4 wheel drive, and a 06 dodge dummins crew cab long bed, I like them both a ton, my chevy which I use for work is quiet a has a ton of power and has a great tranny which is pretty hard to beat, my dodge is awesome to a ton of room and enough power equall wiht my chevy, it is little louder but i enjoy the comfort and room inside the cab

Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 AM
andrewjb2003

I dont think ford is buying out cummins.

I doubt they can afford it, with the cuts they have to make

Quick Reply: New Diesel 2007 Ford