Oil Change DIYs! Changing your own oil is easier than you would think, and is a simple job to save a few bucks!

1992-1995 Dodge Viper RT/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:29 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1992-1995 Dodge Viper RT/10

Oil change DIY, GEN I Viper

Items purchased
- Fram PH16 filter, if you want another brand look it up. $4
- M1 full synthetic 10W-30 oil, 2 5qt jugs, $22.97 each.
- New oil plug, $3. Mine was leaking and just bought the whole plug rather than a gasket.

Tools required
-1/2" or 5/8” wrench.
- Jack and blocks (see below)

The first challenge that is different from most is getting the car high enough to get to the oil plug. You will need one of the following,

Very low profile ramps.
Very low profile jack.
Pit.
Lift.
Wood blocks and a standard jack, which is what I use.
[ol][/ol]

-Put the wood blocks in front or behind the front tire, then backup or pull onto the blocks. I use a 2x6 with a 2x4 screwed into it. This gives enough clearance to get a standard floor jack under the car. Whatever you use, if you pull forward onto it make sure if you were to happen to go to far and over the block that it is not to tall or you will crunch your side sills onto the block!! This would be a costly mistake.

-Jack up the car from the passenger side.

-You will see the oil plug from the passenger side, not to hard to get to as it faces directly at you. My plug required a 5/8” wrench, however I put a new plug in it and that turned out to use a1/2" wrench. Pull the plug, make sure your oil pan is at least 10 qts. Let the oil drain then put the plug back in.

-Remove the filter, and like some cars, this is a pain in the rear. Located on the passenger side directly under cylinder 2, which is the front cylinder. I remove the spark plug wire and go from the top, depending on how big your arm is you may not be able to go this way. I actually got my arm in so tight I though it was stuck! Make sure to have a pan at the bottom and unscrew the filter. Once unscrewed set it on the frame rail, there is no way you will be able to grip and pull the filter up through the hole you slid your arm through. Now go back under the car and grab the filter and clean the oil off the frame. While there make sure to have your new filter and set it on the frame where you had the old one, do not forget to lube the rubber seal on the new filter with oil! Then go back up top and screw the filter on. The alternative is remove the passenger tire and go in from there, which is almost as tight. There are pictures showing this step. Do not forget, reattach the spark plug wire.

-Fill the car with 9.5 qts of oil if you replace the filter, 9 qts if you do not replace the filter, but I never recommend doing an oil change without a filter change.

-Run the car for a couple minutes and check for leaks, then lower the car and drive off the blocks.

DodgeViper

Quick Reply: 1992-1995 Dodge Viper RT/10