PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

1993 multipoint FI.....PCM problem ???? or

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 AM
molchaser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 multipoint FI.....PCM problem ???? or

Here is the story:

I have a 1993 B350 van with sligltly less than 100K miles...runs (ran) very good.

I thought I'd go thru the easy stuff and get it lined out a little,first I changed the spark plugs and air filter...fired right up.

Then I thought before I put the dog house on I'll check the cap (bolt down type) and rotor which looked a little worn so I went got new ones and replaced them. I had read that the IAC valve can get gunked up and even tho I had no idling problem I took it and carefully cleaned it up using carburator cleaner and 1000 grit sand paper...really wasn't that bad to begin with.

I also pulled the hood off to repaint since it was getting kind of chalky...while the hood was off it rained like mad for 3 or 4 days.

Now it won't start...just back fires thru air cleaner. I completely rechecked plug wires (which are conveniently marked) ,replaced the "pickup" in distributer, the igntion coil and checked the crank pick up which seems to be OK.

In an act of desperation I loosened the distributer a little and cranked it over while twisting to see if somehow the timing was off...only difference was I could make it stop backfiring !!!

I am now wondering if rain got to the computer while the hood was off.

I am open to opinions...I am out ideas other than spending big $$$ for a computer and not really needing it

Thanks

Ken (molchaser)

Quick Reply: 1993 multipoint FI.....PCM problem ???? or