Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T

ORIGINAL: jnellydodge
Hey silver, how do you like that Auburn LSD and the 4.10's.....thinking about getting LSD in the near future
I love it. Really makes a difference in traction I think. As for the gears, they really brought back the performance when i went to a bigger tire. I think an even taller gear would be better, but 4.56 would probably be a little too much. I wish they made a 4.27 for the Chrysler 9.25. That would be the perfect gear for performance and 33" tire in my opinion.

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

He might have had a stock exhaust. A buddy has a Dakota R/T and it sounds almost as loud as my Flowmaster exhaust and it is stock. His truck is pretty quick for what it is. A lot faster than my Ram but I've never been in an Indy Ram to compare it to.
That's true. Who knows, he might not have even been trying aas hard as I was either. It sounded like he was though. Either way, I can't complain about how my truck runs anymore.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My frined has a durango R/T 360

We raced once...
I pulled away untill about probably 25-30 or so but he pulled ahead and ended up about a truck length infront of me.

Only reason I pulled him off the line was becasue my tires spun like 20 ft, and his spun a good 30-35 ft.

Im about equil with a regular 360 durango, ive raced 2 standard 360 durangos... it was REALLLY close, we couldent tell who had it... I think I had him by a few inches... but it was a matter of inches... so really close.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My frined has a durango R/T 360

We raced once...
I pulled away untill about probably 25-30 or so but he pulled ahead and ended up about a truck length infront of me.

Only reason I pulled him off the line was becasue my tires spun like 20 ft, and his spun a good 30-35 ft.

Im about equil with a regular 360 durango, ive raced 2 standard 360 durangos... it was REALLLY close, we couldent tell who had it... I think I had him by a few inches... but it was a matter of inches... so really close.

-JOSH
99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2
I'm not much of a racer in my truck (that is what the Mustang is for), but I did race a Dakota R/T about a week ago. My guess is that it was stock, but it did have an aftermarket exhaust from the tone of it. We messed around for a few miles back and forth, but then we came to a light. When it went green, he jumped about 3/4 to a full length on me off the line (he has a lot less mass to get moving, plus i'm running 33" all terrains and an automatic transmission), but from there, I stayed with him all the way to when we both let off. I think he was suprised that I could hang with him in my lifted extended cab Ram. I was happy with how my truck ran though. I'd like to run against an Indy or SST Ram though (not RM_Indy). 3 years ago, I would have been 3-4 lengths behind a truck like that easily, if I had even tried. My truck used to be a dog back then, and I never even tried to race anyone. I have also recently run against a non R/T Dakota with a V8 (probably a 318), and I had no problem pulling away from him. That truck was definetly stock though best I could tell, and he also had an automatic.

1999 Ram 1500, 5.2, 4x4, Auto
Mopar Air Intake
Fastman 50mm
HS 1.7's
Edelbrock headers
Magnaflow cat
Flowmaster 40 3" in/out
B&G Performance Flashed PCM
4.10' s, Auburn LSD
3" Skyjacker
Rancho RS9000X
www.cardomain.com/ride/799288
I don't know how the 5.2L's are putting up a fight agianst a smaller, lighter, larger displacement truck? Granted I know that Silver_Dodge has mods done to his motor. But it still seems to me that a 5.9L R/T would dust my 5.9L 4x4. How would a 5.2L 4x4 Ext Cab hang in?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran

What about Indy Ram vs. Ram ss/t? I was readin on another site and it says they both had 245 hp so how would they compare? Were there any other performance differences?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock versus stock, there was not a very big difference between a 5.2 and a 5.9 from a horsepower/torque point of view.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my observations, the 360's are, and feel faster off the line, as the 318's make their power alittle higher and rev slightly higher.
I think that is how they make up for the less power, by reving higher... although my friends RT durango's tach redlines at 5500, and mine redlines at 5000 rpm even, I dont know if his shifts right up to it though.

They just make their power differently, the 360 is a better tower because the power is more off the bottom, and I think they have a different tranny cmoputer becasue they seem to shift differently and the torque converter doenst let the engine rev up as much.
I have a frinend with a 360 ram that will lay an unbeliveable rubber patch with out breaks, just stepping on it, and mine in a straight line with out breaks can only go about 20 ft or so but I still pull him in a race...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 AM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

ORIGINAL: sbrunn9

What about Indy Ram vs. Ram ss/t? I was readin on another site and it says they both had 245 hp so how would they compare? Were there any other performance differences?
No difference in performance in a indy vs ss/t, same thing. Actullay the only performance mod is an exhaust, and the apperance mods.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 PM
scg87
Veteran

ORIGINAL: AAA4948

I'm pretty happy with the power of my 5.9L in my 4x4 regular cab long box. I know that one of the Indy Rams would blow my truck away being much lighter (2WD) and smaller (short box). What about one of the Dakota 5.9L R/Ts? I would imagine that they'd be even faster than the Indy Rams being a midsize truck and even lighter than the Indy Rams. Any comments about this?

Yes, the Dakota RT's are quicker than the Indy/SST Rams. I've owned 2 Dakota RT's. Both '99's, one single cab, the other extended cab. The sc one was stock the entire time I owned it, and I regularly beat my friend's stock SS/T Ram. By a decent amount, a few cars or so. My cc was stock when I bought it, and didn't feel much slower than my old reg cab. I weighed it once, and it was 4,800 and some change. I'm not sure what sc 5.9 Rams weigh, but I would still think it's more than even a club-clab Dak.

To whoever asked about the RT's perforamnce mods: It had the 5.9l rated at 250 hp and 345 tq. It was 1" lower than non RT's and had sport-tuned suspension (different anti-roll bars, springs, etc) and also had the 3.92 Posi rear-end. All RT's were automatic, 2wd. They were only available in reg or extended cab.

Quick Reply: Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T