Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T

I'm pretty happy with the power of my 5.9L in my 4x4 regular cab long box. I know that one of the Indy Rams would blow my truck away being much lighter (2WD) and smaller (short box). What about one of the Dakota 5.9L R/Ts? I would imagine that they'd be even faster than the Indy Rams being a midsize truck and even lighter than the Indy Rams. Any comments about this?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T

ORIGINAL: AAA4948

I'm pretty happy with the power of my 5.9L in my 4x4 regular cab long box. I know that one of the Indy Rams would blow my truck away being much lighter (2WD) and smaller (short box). What about one of the Dakota 5.9L R/Ts? I would imagine that they'd be even faster than the Indy Rams being a midsize truck and even lighter than the Indy Rams. Any comments about this?
forget that. thats blastphemy sir!

idk, i have one on my block that likes to race me whenever we leave at the same time and he usuially lags behind quite a bit, but its an ext cab and hes got a tool box in the back.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

could the indy rams be had with a 5-speed? the dakota r/t was never optioned with manual trans. i suspect a 2wd reg cab short box with a 360 & manual trans could take down an r/t pretty easily. but yeah, there's no hope for our 4wd's without some heavy duty mods.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the fireman has one, 4wd -ext cab, 5.9 completely stock and it is lightning, put you back in the seat fast, no way any stockRam could keep up with it, feels quicker than a Hemi I drove.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
lv360ram
Captain

I have a stock 95 Dakota with 5.2L and a 01 Ram QC with Superchips 5.9L My Ram is an underpowered behemoth compared tomy Dakota.
Stock Indy Ram vs. stock Dakota R/T my bet is on the Dakota and I would rather own a Dakota because it it is so much way more funner to drive.
[sm=gears.gif]

Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran

I'm familiar with the R/T dakota's and durangos, but what else is done to the engine to make it the R/T? I know how they differ in appearance but is there anything else done to the 5.9 performance wise or is it just a big engine in a smaller truck?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not much of a racer in my truck (that is what the Mustang is for), but I did race a Dakota R/T about a week ago. My guess is that it was stock, but it did have an aftermarket exhaust from the tone of it. We messed around for a few miles back and forth, but then we came to a light. When it went green, he jumped about 3/4 to a full length on me off the line (he has a lot less mass to get moving, plus i'm running 33" all terrains and an automatic transmission), but from there, I stayed with him all the way to when we both let off. I think he was suprised that I could hang with him in my lifted extended cab Ram. I was happy with how my truck ran though. I'd like to run against an Indy or SST Ram though (not RM_Indy). 3 years ago, I would have been 3-4 lengths behind a truck like that easily, if I had even tried. My truck used to be a dog back then, and I never even tried to race anyone. I have also recently run against a non R/T Dakota with a V8 (probably a 318), and I had no problem pulling away from him. That truck was definetly stock though best I could tell, and he also had an automatic.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I'm not much of a racer in my truck (that is what the Mustang is for), but I did race a Dakota R/T about a week ago. My guess is that it was stock, but it did have an aftermarket exhaust from the tone of it. We messed around for a few miles back and forth, but then we came to a light. When it went green, he jumped about 3/4 to a full length on me off the line (he has a lot less mass to get moving, plus i'm running 33" all terrains and an automatic transmission), but from there, I stayed with him all the way to when we both let off. I think he was suprised that I could hang with him in my lifted extended cab Ram. I was happy with how my truck ran though. I'd like to run against an Indy or SST Ram though (not RM_Indy). 3 years ago, I would have been 3-4 lengths behind a truck like that easily, if I had even tried. My truck used to be a dog back then, and I never even tried to race anyone. I have also recently run against a non R/T Dakota with a V8 (probably a 318), and I had no problem pulling away from him. That truck was definetly stock though best I could tell, and he also had an automatic.
Hey silver, how do you like that Auburn LSD and the 4.10's.....thinking about getting LSD in the near future.

As for the origional post i would bet on the dakota. Only reason i say that is that my dak would walk all over my ram if i would have raced them. But get the tow strap out and go hitch to hitch the ram would pullthe dak around like atoy. Ram reg cab short box against ext. cab dakota, both 2wd, both 5.9, both same transmissions, it would be very close.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

He might have had a stock exhaust. A buddy has a Dakota R/T and it sounds almost as loud as my Flowmaster exhaust and it is stock. His truck is pretty quick for what it is. A lot faster than my Ram but I've never been in an Indy Ram to compare it to.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

. I'd like to run against an Indy or SST Ram though (not RM_Indy).
Why not me???

Indy Ram, 245hp/335trq stock and approx 4450lbs curb wt most came with 3.55 gears from factory unless ordered.
97SST same as Indy but 98 had 5hp more. Indy/SST should have same curb wt.
Dak RT had 250hp like the 98SST and the QC is maybe 50lbs lighter than an Indy/SST but has a fair bit lower drag coeff. A R/C RT would probably be around 4250 curb wt. RTs come from factory with 391s unless ordered with 410s.

15.1-15.25 forstock RTs at the track I go to.
Indy/SST expect 16.2 stock when broken in(3.55 grs) 410s probably have them running 15.8 stock
The Dak RT was a bigger motor in a smaller truck (5.2 only available prior to that)
Stock for stock the Dak RT even in QC form will be a fair bit faster than an Indy/SST

Ive never lost to a Dak RT yet. I know there are lots of faster ones than me out there but Ive never got one lined up at the track.

Quick Reply: Indy Ram vs. Dakota R/T