Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Newman and Busch at Richmond

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Newman and Busch at Richmond

Like the good old days
In the closing laps of the race, Ryan Newman played tag with Tony Stewart's rear bumper before passing the Joe Gibbs Racing pilot for sixth. Stewart tried to retaliate but Newman was too quick and pulled away.

Newman said, to a degree, it reminded him of the days when the Indiana drivers dueled in Sprints and Midgets.

"We did race a lot together back then, but we didn't usually get to beat and bang as much back in open wheel," Newman said. "I know he had some right front damage and his car was wounded a little bit. He was protecting his line on the racetrack.

"I gave him a little tap-tap and he tried to hit the brakes on me in the middle of the corner and all kinds of stuff. It was hard racing and it almost caused a little craziness, but it was a good run for the Alltel Dodge, nevertheless."

Penske team happy in COT with top-10s at Richmond
By Dave Rodman, NASCAR.COM
May 7, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. -- Roger Penske has won so many races and championships, running fifth and sixth in a Nextel Cup Series race at Richmond International Raceway isn't going to get him too excited.
But "The Captain" knows enough about business, momentum and the people it takes to capitalize on both that he could easily see the value of Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman's finishes Sunday afternoon in the Crown Royal presents the Jim Stewart 400.

Especially since the result was the second consecutive week in which the Penske pair both finished in the top 10, following Busch's third and Newman's ninth at Talladega.

The last two results are particularly heartening, because each of the drivers has only one other top 10 in the season's other eight races, and both of those came within the first three events.

"Just to see the emotion from [all] the guys, today," Penske said while walking through Richmond's garage. "They had a tough [pit] stop and Kurt drove it from 43rd to first, and Ryan drove it up there.
"To me, they stayed out of trouble and had good stops. We were lucky on that issue with [Kevin] Harvick and [David Ragan, who crashed in the pits while Harvick was dominating], but there again, it's tight racing and you don't know until it's the end."

What the team knows is that Busch, who's led 195 laps this season in six different races, and who led three times for 27 laps Sunday jumped up a spot in the standings to ninth and is only five points out of eighth.

Newman, over the past two weeks with consecutive top-10 finishes has gained seven positions in the standings and is now 19th, 120 points out of a Chase spot, which both he and Busch missed last season. Newman led a lap Sunday, which is only the third race and third lap he's led all season.
For the third consecutive week, Busch was working at the track with interim crew chief Troy Raker, a team engineer who stepped into the weekend position when Roy McCauley stepped back prior to Phoenix to spend time with his ill wife. Newman's crew chief Mike Nelson is in his first full season in the position.

"We know we've got a good team," Penske said. "We're working at it. We've got good drivers and good crews, and this was a validation of what we're trying to do -- they're doing a hell of a job.

"We've just got to figure out when to pit. If we don't come it's wrong and if we do come in it's wrong -- but still, it was a good race for both teams. I think Kurt had a car that could have won, and it looks like we're learning a lot about the COT."

Busch is enthused his cars have been so sporty; though he pointed out his team is working on the full race package.

"We know we've got a good team. We're working at it. We've got good drivers and good crews, and this was a validation of what we're trying to do -- they're doing a hell of a job."

Roger Penske"I'm very disappointed we let that race get away -- very disappointed the Miller Lite Dodge didn't win today, but that's why they call it racing," Busch said. "We had a good car and the team worked well on pit stops, we just decided to pit at the wrong time."

As Penske said, Busch went to the back after pitting and came back. Busch was confident enough to say he could have challenged for the win, given enough time; and it was a fact, for probably the first time this season, both he and Newman were coming to the front when the checkers fell.

While the COT-dominant Hendrick Motorsports cars took first, second and fourth, Busch said he thought he had something for them, as he raced to his second consecutive top-five finish.

"It would have been fun to race them for the victory," Busch said of the consequences of the pit decision. "We had track position at the time and we gave it up, so that was a bad call. It would have been up to them to get by us.

"It would have been interesting to try to hold them off. I felt our Dodge Avenger was just as strong today as their cars."

Though it was the first strong start-to-finish COT showing for Penske, the owner said there was no question to him going all-COT was better done sooner than on NASCAR's currently proposed schedule, which runs through 2009.

"As I've said, I think we need to have one car to work on because when you're jumping back and forth, it's a lot of work for the guys, and it's more costly," Penske said. "But I think that we proved, here and at Phoenix that we have a pretty good car on these COTs, so obviously I have a preference to go that way.

"But there again, we're trying to stay consistent. We need to keep focusing and getting good finishes like we had today with both cars, which is driving us in the right direction, so it was a great day for us.
"I think we've probably been better than we've shown on the scoreboard, but today was a perfect test for us."

Penske will get no argument from Newman on the COT, which runs for the fifth time, next weekend at Darlington.

"I'm really looking forward to Darlington," Newman said. "Obviously the Hendrick cars are the ones to beat, and from what I've heard they got a head start on everybody with testing, and that kind of shows up.

"But the bottom line is, I like Darlington and I look forward to going there because it's a fun track for me. Our Car of Tomorrow program is strong. I'm not saying we can't make it stronger, but it's definitely strong right now."

It will have to be, to upset the Hendrick teams that have won all four COT races, with three different drivers: Kurt's younger brother Kyle Busch, Sunday's winner Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon, going to Victory Lane.

Quick Reply: Newman and Busch at Richmond