Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

1st time with a stick

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:47 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1st time with a stick

so...i went to the track sunday, with the track closing soon, hoping to see what it would get to in the nice cold weather. my buddy with the 95 sebring 4 cyl 5 speed, with Zex, came along to run as well. well first run..i blew the motor in the mirada. so i put my number on the sebring, and ran it in a different class than did the owner. i have obviously driven a stick before,and street raced, but never on the dragstrip, so i was a bit unsure of how i would do. ive seen so many people miss gears...stall the car at the line, so on...i was a bit nervous. well, he went in his class first, and lost. i went into my class, in his car...and won. second round..i won again...and the third...the sebring running off the bottle at 16.7s, (i had to hit the juice to get ahead once...) got me all the way to the final 4. unfortunately, and my final 4 run, i pulled a .004 redlight....this car has a bad 3rd gear synchro, the clutch is going, and the tranny has about 130,000 miles on it..so im left to wonder..how the hell do these retards who drive the car every day..miss gears...

i think my buddy was a bit pissed that i made it so far in his car....it was an interesting experience...

Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st time with a stick

Well I can vouch for these "retards" that drive sticks everyday as to how they miss gears. I don't drive my car on the street like I do on the track, the shifts are completely different....I don't really know how to explain it. I don't usually miss gears either, once in awhile I do...I usually end up being about .2-.3 slower than normal. Now if you stall it off the line I'll call you a retard because anyone who launches at around idle is a retard. I can't think of any good reason to do that.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, shifting at the track is different than in normal day-to-day driving. When you're going down the track, you're not keeeping one eye on that grandma in the caddy that's riding her brake and has had a turn signal flashing for the last 4 blocks, you're not wondering about the ricer cutting in and out of traffic lanes, you're not trying to avoid the cowboy in the pickup who just cut you off, and you're not worried about how to avoid the soccer mom in the mini-van who just pulled out in front of you with a full load of kids in the back seats.....Plus I change my seat position from time to time depending on how much gear I have on and what uniform I'm wearing. Missing a gear once in a while is no biggie.....

Old 10-19-2004, 07:09 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't know how they miss a gear either. I'm more likely to miss a gear in my daily driving than at the track and I only miss a gear driving about once every two years. I also don't see how they stall either, I haven't stalled a stick in years.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can bet that on these FWD MoPars that the engine rocking plays a huge roll on the shifter cable. That rocking can cause shifting problems.

In the case of Stu's car, that thing is so worn out that you probably are ALMOStT missing the gears, but it's falling in anyway.

Good job Pat.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i was also impressed that just pulling the juice trigger in 3rd/4th gear pushed me from a 16.75 to a 16.30

mmmmmmmmmm....juice...

Old 10-19-2004, 05:46 PM
moparturd
Banned

You should try and talk Stu into putting a 100 jet in the thing.

If he decides to do it, take a video of the run.

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 10-19-2004, 05:51 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

umm..the kit he has only came with 55/65/75 jets. he told me if help him change the drivetrain (which i will anyway) he might put a monster jet in it before the turbo drivetrain goes in. id like to get say 75/100/125/150/200/ so on...and see what itll do before it explodes...

Old 10-19-2004, 05:55 PM
moparturd
Banned

I think back in the 90's whe the Neons came out that one of the MoPar Mags. hooked N2O on a rental neon at the Nats. They got into the 12-13's range before it broke a rocker. That was an automatic car too. they also drove it back to the rental place like that. They also used a dry system that feed directly into the intake after the air filter.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

hmmm...stu is running a zex wet shot, about 7 inches upstream of the tb, but when we make him a CAI from some greddy turbo pipes i borrowed from a supra, itll be a bit closer, and more direct.

there have also been some casual discussions of bottling the mirada...with the compression im running, it should be able to withstand a smal shot, say 100 or so. supposedly, 100 shot would cut about a second off. 11.60s would be nice..[8D]

Quick Reply: 1st time with a stick