Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Saturn Ion (redline) VS SRT4 VS Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Saturn Ion (redline) VS SRT4 VS Cobalt SS

no, thats 205 at the crank...205 is the advertised hp by GM, and there is no way that GM would advertise whp, because its always lower....they advertise the highest possible HP rating....however told you that is foolish...

Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 AM
SuperchargedGS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think it was true either but just with an intake it made 213 HP on the dyno. here is the link of a stock dyno http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1512

Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you verify that the car was stock, or had just the intake? There's a lot of speculation that goes on when it comes to cars and the internet.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:36 PM
SuperchargedGS

in the may edition of motor trend they compared the Neon SRT-4 to the Cobalt SS and Motor Tren had both of there 1/4 mile time exactly the same at 14.4 sec. so they are close I agree that the SRT-4 is the better car just because the topend of it if way better but that because of the choice of the turbo over the Supercharger. Also the torque of the SRT-4 is more and i believe that is the Wheel HP rating because I don't think that if the Cobalt had 205 HP that it would beable to run a 14.4 in the 1/4 without a lot less weight.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:57 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but do you understand what im saying? no company would advertise WHP because its always lower, and a company would be insane to market a car with anything but the highest possible HP rating, especially with a compact in todays market

Old 04-24-2005, 07:08 PM
SuperchargedGS

i understand what you are saying. why would everyone dyno there car and have the same dyno results? maybe GM put those rating to make people think that there car only has 205 hp and runs 14.4 and can sometimes keep up with the compeditors. because that would look bad if they have 230 HP and only run 14.4 when there are SRT-4's with 230HP and can run 13.9 in the 1/4. I have had people not from that forum say that they have 205 at the wheels.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:35 PM
OrochiDio1
Professional

GM's cars are underated. this goes back to the LS1 days. Z28's where rated at 300hp but they where puting down over 300Whp in the cobalt with only 205 flywheel hp it should only run a 15.1ish witha say 150lbs driver. so id say 205 at the wheels is pretty acuarate. but a srt-4 will still own it no matter what no contest.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:34 AM
bigddy9
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: OrochiDio1

GM's cars are underated. this goes back to the LS1 days. Z28's where rated at 300hp but they where puting down over 300Whp in the cobalt with only 205 flywheel hp it should only run a 15.1ish witha say 150lbs driver. so id say 205 at the wheels is pretty acuarate. but a srt-4 will still own it no matter what no contest.
Underrated?? I might be the biggest GM supporter on this board, and even I won't say GM underrates their motors. At the Detroit Auto Show this past January, there was a GM dyno booth and they had a 5.3 with no restrictions on a dyno that said it was at 277 HP. They are rated at 285 stock......sounds overrated to me. Anyway, I've driven the Cobalt SS and my SRT-4 is faster. I will say that the 6-speed tranny is slick, and the power delivery is very linear, but it's not faster than an SRT-4. As far as interior goes, GM nailed it with the SS. Way better than the Dodge. Had the SS been out when I bought my car, I would have given it serious consideration.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cobalt SS came out far better than it was expected too, it was originally presumed to be a low 15's car. As far as factory ratings versus actual power output GM normally gives their actual rating, however they have underrated some engines in the past but that is rare. Ford has been known to overrate their engines output, even to the point of being sued over it with the Mustang Cobras' a few years back. Chrysler has often times underrated their engines power output, they're actually fairly well known for it. The '03 SRT-4's were rated at 215 horsepower, but when dyno tested they were found to be putting out 223 horsepower at the wheels. The Cobalt SS is also underrated at Chevys' 205 horsepower rating.

The Motor Trend comparison of the two was one of the worst yet. They pitted an '05 SS against an '05 SRT-4 and they came out almost 100% equal. Now I have noticed how they always prefer GM's products to all other American makes and all European cars are held in even higher regard with Japanese cars being their all time favorite. I was shocked to see that they did admit that the SRT-4 they used was extremely green and far from being broke in and that it was the slowest SRT-4 they have tested because of this (The SRT-4 is programmed to hold back peak performance until it reaches a certain mileage). The SS they had for this comparison was stronger than the previous one they had tested. Something says that this is more than coincidence given their previous comparison tests results, even when the Viper beats the Vette senseless they always give the win and their praise to the Vette even though it gets beat in ever single test known by the Viper.[sm=wtf.gif] Here they have an SRT-4 that is far behind all previous SRT-4's they've tested (half a second slower in both 0-60 MPH and the 1/4 mile) and a quicker SS than they previously tested, this seems like more of the same BS test fixing. There is a remote chance that it is just a random thing though. Either way they did the usual and the expected by giving just about everything to the SS and picked it to be their favorite by far as expected.

They show them tied in the 1/4 mile at 14.4 seconds in their comparison article, but if you look back in the back of the same issue in their test results section you get a completely different story with the SRT-4 at 13.9 seconds in the 1/4 mile and the SS at 14.5 seconds, talk about contradiction. This just goes to prove and support what I already knew about MT. This is not to say that they are wrong about everything, they do make good points about various issues with each car it's just that they are biased and it shows. I have yet to find a completely unbiased magazine yet, so the best thing I've found to do is average several different sources to get an idea of what they actually do.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 PM
haunter

ORIGINAL: bigddy9

Underrated?? I might be the biggest GM supporter on this board, and even I won't say GM underrates their motors. At the Detroit Auto Show this past January, there was a GM dyno booth and they had a 5.3 with no restrictions on a dyno that said it was at 277 HP. They are rated at 285 stock......sounds overrated to me. Anyway, I've driven the Cobalt SS and my SRT-4 is faster. I will say that the 6-speed tranny is slick, and the power delivery is very linear, but it's not faster than an SRT-4. As far as interior goes, GM nailed it with the SS. Way better than the Dodge. Had the SS been out when I bought my car, I would have given it serious consideration.

277whp when a car is rated at 285 hp IS underrating, if its a manual factor 15% drivetrain loss and you have ~30 more hp at teh wheels than you should.

They show them tied in the 1/4 mile at 14.4 seconds in their comparison article, but if you look back in the back of the same issue in their test results section you get a completely different story with the SRT-4 at 13.9 seconds in the 1/4 mile and the SS at 14.5 seconds, talk about contradiction. This just goes to prove and support what I already knew about MT.
so......they drove a different SRT4 on a different day in different conditions and the time changed, yeah wow thas wierd Don't mention that the cobalt beat the SRT-4 around a tracks.

A few facts for you guys, feel free to doublcheck them anywhere

The IonRL and teh Cobalt SS are NOT a cavalier, its a brand new platform called delta that saturn satrted using in 03 or 04 I beleive.

Then engine is NOT a honda motor, the VUE Redline uses a honda 3.0L v6, the delta cars use the LSJ, its a 2.0L all aluminum ecotec with aan eaton M62 roots blower and an air to water intercooler.

The average dyno #'s a re generally between 200 and 210 whp, we know this is fact because a large # of redline forums has dyno'd stock, and its easy to still be stock when the only aftermarket at the time was K&N panel filters and DIY stuff.

They run mid 14's in the quarter mile, not as fast as teh SRT-4, but they drive nicer, i have driven both, a good friend has an 04 SRT4 and my dad daily drives a Redline when he isnt driving his 99 Camaro SS. T

he 05 models have LSD as an option. A member witha DIY intake and exhuast ran a 13.9 and is the fastest 1320' time to date on the board, and is the most modded one that I know of right now, minus PSI-Fi's test car

Quick Reply: Saturn Ion (redline) VS SRT4 VS Cobalt SS