Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Saturn Ion (redline) VS SRT4 VS Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Saturn Ion (redline) VS SRT4 VS Cobalt SS

when i was at the track (PRP) last tuesday, the heat and humidity was playing hell on the turbo cars...well, at least the stock turbo cars whose owners i spoke with (04 Evo, 04 SRT4, 95 Supra)...the boosted civics didnt seem to have any problems, several of which were running the K20 swap...

Old 05-23-2006, 03:49 AM
ShelbyD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

Because it has far more power than the others I've had, and it also has far too narrow wheels and tires for the power it has. Loss of traction on the launch is it's only problem, the rest is easy. I raced against my '88 Shelby Z that had the engine rebuilt 30 over and the Mopar Performance PCM (which bumps boost up from the stock 7.5 psi to 13 psi, but would often times peg the 15 psi boost gauge if the conditions were right) and an MSD Blaster ignition coil, it also had some weight removed from it including the A/C compressor and I filled the new motor mounts before installing them, with my SRT-4 when it only had the Mopar BOV and MSD plug wires for mods and I blew it away easily.

The Shelby Z was really quick and would fry the front tires into pillars of smoke, but it was completely different. It has less horsepower (rated at 174 hp stock) and torque (rated at 200 lb/ft stock), taller sidewall tires and a larger turbo and far stiffer/stronger clutch. The SRT-4 has much more horsepower (rated at 230 hp, but dyno proven to put that much out at the wheels or more stock) and torque (rated at 250 lb/ft, but dyno proven to put that much out at the wheels or more stock), a smaller more responsive turbo, narrower and shorter tires and softer/weaker hydraulic assisted clutch.

So, my basically stock SRT-4 blew away my lightly modified Shelby Z with ease. We were coming around the last curve into an almost full one mile straight, where the street racers often run around here, and I was just waiting for him to jump into it, so I stayed down in second, and I saw the black smoke from the tailpipe. That was what I was waiting for because I just knew he was gonna try me and my SRT-4. I did the same and jumped in the other lane to avoid putting my SRT-4 up his a** and passed him very quickly, especially when I hit 3rd.

My '99 Neon R/T had quite a bit of bolt ons and was very fun, but nothing like the Shelby Z or SRT-4. It was mainly fairly quick because of it's light weight, but you had to bring up the RPM's to really have fun with it or go through the twisties.

As you know, launching on the street is far different than at the track and I don't launch that hard on the street. Only once has someone revved at me in the SRT-4 at a light to let me know they wanted to run and it was a Ford pick up with a loud exhaust and didn't require a hard launch to destroy with ease. Everyone else just trys me without warning, so I don't launch like I'm racing. The only time that I knew for a fact someone was gonna try me without revving at me was some kid in a Jetta turbo who ran hard to catch up to me at the red light after I passed him at the previous light when it had changed as I was approaching it, I shifted when I was next to him and the BOV blew off and it was the only mod I had done to it at that time. I took off fairly normal but before him and I heard him squeel his tires and I heard his turbo as he got up beside me, that's when I left him like he was going backwards. He had an exhaust with the big dual up sweeping tips, CAI and wheels that I could tell, I don't know if he had anything else done to it. I don't know why, but I've just never practiced launching my SRT-4, I did with my Shelby Z and somewhat with my R/T.

I've only ran the R/T down the track and it was a complete waste since the pedal covers, I had the brake and clutch pedal covers on weeks before and they were fine, but the gas pedal cover was nothing but problems to try and mount, I just had to get put on before that show had worked it's way down the gas pedal and was grabbing the carpet on the exhaust tunnel keeping it from WOT. This made the launches easy and resulted in suck a** times that a crawling infant could beat. I only made 3 passes with the SRT-4 and going from the R/T to this was a big difference, especially without a pedal cover problem. It's not easy to launch at all, you have to find it's right combination to do any good. I'm gonna try and get some practice with the launching, especially with Stage 1 giving far more boost in 1st gear (stock it limits boost to around 8 psi in 1st), it was a pain in the a** before, I can't imagine how hard it's gonna be now. I need to get my 60 ft. times where they need to be, the rest of my runs were great, but the 60 ft. times can make or break you. I'm hoping to get it down somewhat on the street with the G-Tech Pro and hope it will work for the track, it's that or keep running it at the track until I get it right.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.. but like 71 Roadrunner I hate to see bad info spread.

Im not here to troll either. Just wanted to correct some bad info on the Shelby Z that was posted.

For starters.. I not sure you had a T2 Daytona. 7.5 psi (9psi max) boost is what comes stock on a T1 engined car. The turbo 2s came with 12psi max. boost. , better gearing, better tires, intercooled. Also the stock boost on a T3 R/T Daytona is 11psi not 8.

Now you said that your Shelby Z was easily beat by the SRT-4. Let me tell you why. Because you didn't touch the exhaust. The stock exhaust on any of the old school turbo dodges is extremely restrictive. Pushing the boost up without getting rid of the restrictive exhaust system is hardly worth while. This is how I look at it.. your performance ecu boosted the stock 12psi (assuming you had a T2) up to 14psi. Thats a whopping total of 14hp... thats not even 200hp. Granted you had a MP ecu so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you had about 200hp. So is no surprise that the SRT4 romped it.

Now, if you had say pulled off your muffler/axle pipe/cat along with that boost increase you would have seen a completely different side of Mr. Shelby Z. Turning the boost up is like adding more wood to the fire.. uncorking the exhaust along with it is like adding gas to the fire. BIG difference. From a 1st gear roll my 88 Shelby Z will walk past a 265hp LT1 1st Gen Camaro (which runs 14.3 in the quarter mile BTW). My mods? Graingered to 14psi + opened up exhaust. It's still only making about 200hp... but with my exhaust opened up the torque I expect is around 230ft ibs. I'm not torque limited like with the stock ecu and quite possibly the MP ecu was by using my grainger valve. I havent had the opportunity to race a stock SRT-4 yet.. but I'd wager it will be a close race.

I'm not here to bash the SRT-4 I'm very glad that Mopar brought the turbo back and I do believe it works nicely compared to anything in its class.

None of the Turbo II parts are interchangeable with the Turbo I except the valve cover. So if you need parts they have to be Turbo II only. There might be a few other small parts that interchange, but extremely few. I imagine the two of you already knew that, but it never hurts to repeat it. ]
Just wanna say is that this info is very wrong. Most of the parts on a T1 T2 T3 and T4 are interchangable. Heck I've got an 89 2.5 Turbo 1 motor in my 89 Turbo 2 Daytona right now. The torque is unreal with the T2 setup. (different car from my 88 Z posted above for the record).

Old 05-24-2006, 02:57 PM
300ZXSRT4
Captain

ORIGINAL: SuperchargedGS

in the may edition of motor trend they compared the Neon SRT-4 to the Cobalt SS and Motor Tren had both of there 1/4 mile time exactly the same at 14.4 sec. so they are close I agree that the SRT-4 is the better car just because the topend of it if way better but that because of the choice of the turbo over the Supercharger. Also the torque of the SRT-4 is more and i believe that is the Wheel HP rating because I don't think that if the Cobalt had 205 HP that it would beable to run a 14.4 in the 1/4 without a lot less weight.
I have driven ALL of these cars mentioned, Redline and Cobalt SS SC, there is a night and day difference in the torque and horsepower compared to the SRT-4. The SRT-4 is FASTER! Just because a couple of fat journalist jackasses from a car magazine say they are the same means nothing. There is also no way the car companies would publish WHP.......It would be an embarrasment.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:28 AM
sbcwjbcjwke

i think every one of u are full of crap. have u ever watched the srt4 and the cobalt ss/sc race? yeah the cobalt destroys the srt4 with out a question. and plus its a chevy think about it. the srt4 doesnt have a chance in heck to even be compared to a cobalt ss/sc. the ss/sc can beat an srt4neon on a good or bad day, or any driver. COBALT SS/SC ALL THE WAY!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 AM
sbcwjbcjwke

cobalt ss/sc is the best car ever created. no fricken srt 4 or crappy redline can even come close to being as good as a cobalt ss/sc. no matter how much you rice-burner them out.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Umm, the SS/SC Cobalt is about 205HP. Isn't sad when older Mopar technology can beat your new GM stock for stock?

As for comparing what you can do aftermarket, that is a useless point. Both cars can be modded to craziness, this is why when comparing new cars in terms of HPit is all about what stock vs stock is.

Cobalt SS/SC stats http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ercharged.html

05 Neon SRT-4 stats (5th paragraph down) http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/neon/review.html

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

he is just a troll starting s***. why bring back a threadfrom may of 06 just to stir it up? this guy is a moron

Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

chevy boy, feel free to post us some personalized videos of your built cobalt.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
scg87
Veteran

LOL at that Slowbalt fanboy. I wonder if he knows the Cobalt SS/SC and Ion Redline are the same cars.......

Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

but scg, no crappy redline could ever come close to being as good as the new cavalier!

Quick Reply: Saturn Ion (redline) VS SRT4 VS Cobalt SS