Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Opening day for me....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opening day for me....

I spin them on the street and the track. But even more so on the track then on the street. But what I'm dying to know is whether I would be any better off with my 15s on the car. I have two choices.

#1 Stock wheels and tires (tires are worn down pretty well, not really good for any season)

#2 My 17's and tires (tires are brand new, they're fairly grippy, more suited for a road course, but still grip better then my 15s do)

I know the 15s are slightly lighter...I can feel just a ever so slight difference between the two...but I'm not sure if the difference is enough to make a difference being that the 15s have worse traction.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may not be enough, but it will get you closer anyway.

Lets say the wheels are a pound lighter. That's 16 oz. Not lets assume that half of that weight actually works out to the 4 lbs./ oz. so that's equivalent to 32 lbs. a wheel, or 128 lbs. Now figuring that your car is putting roughly 130 WHP down, according to your times, you need to drop 50 lbs. to gain 0.1 seconds in the quarter. Looks like the wheels in this case could yield you a little over 2 tenths provided your can get the same amount of traction.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
QUICK_SILVER
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ramfan5.9

sounds like u had some fun, better luck next time
Your sig is a little scarry!

Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: QUICK_SILVER

ORIGINAL: ramfan5.9

sounds like u had some fun, better luck next time
Your sig is a little scarry!
What does this have anything to do with my thread? Anyhow, thats what I was thinking. But I don't think I can get the same amount of traction. Last time I ran it with my 15s I was spinning until I grabbed 3rd gear. So I think I need to get some tires for the pair of 14s I have sitting around specifically for drag racing. They're just waiting for some tires.

Quick Reply: Opening day for me....