Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Always at the wrong time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Always at the wrong time.

I was heading to the car wash from work today and there is a good amount of traffic in the 90something degree heat, so I have my A/C on for the very first time this year. I have it blasting full bore and I get to a red light, I was the first and only one there. As I'm waiting traffic starts to pile up behind and around me on this two lane each way road with a 45 MPH speed limit. Beside me was a Chevy pick up, regular cab short bed, I think it was an SS of some sort. I'm waiting for the light to change so I can get the car sprayed off and the A/C blowing a little colder. When the light does change, as usual, I am the first off the line and driving normal, which some may consider quick, to the speed limit and this truck in the other lane took off right after I did, so his nose was around my back bumper or so and he kept pace at first. I get around the speed limit and get into 4th gear and look in my side mirror to see a plume of smoke come out of the pick ups tail pipe. I realize that he is trying to play billy bada$$, but here I am just cruising in 4th with the A/C cranking, so I have to turn the A/C off and downshift to do anything. By the time I do this my front end is about around his back wheel and once I'm in 3rd and it starts boosting good I'm pulling back up on him to the point we are even and I run out of RPM's for 3rd, so I shift back into 4th and launch like a bat out of hell. At this point I leave him like he's standing still.

This always seems to only happen to me when I'm at a disadvantage and just driving along. If he had done like the last pick up that ran me from a light did, the typical revving his engine, I would have been prepared by the time the light changed or even had sufficient warning after we were driving, I would have simply left him looking stupid without him getting anywhere near me let alone ahead of me at all. I had an idea the last time I ran which was against a new Monte Carlo SS Supercharged, I was next to him at a red light and it was the same situation, but without the A/C being on, and I kinda figured that he would try something like that and he did, so I was prepared and smoked him good. This seems to be the way these Chevidiots do things. If you want to run someone, let them know it, don't just act like every time someone leaves the light before you that they are trying to race you.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Always at the wrong time.

cool nice race

Old 06-08-2005, 02:00 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

It was fun, sucked that he caught me off guard and got the jump on me, but it came out right in the end and was fun.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

its funny, some trucks see a lil car, they think its slow, they try it they loose

there are some fast trucks out there, but 90% of the guys that think their truck is fast is wrong

Old 06-10-2005, 05:03 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Yep. I was floored to see how easy it is to get monsterous power out of the diesels, like propane injection. The trucks also tend to have the bigger and better V8's combined with the gearing for low end pulling which makes them seem like they have more power than they actually do.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:19 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Well it turns out that I know the guy in the white Chevy pick up, he was talking about the run this past weekend with a guy I work with. He was trying to claim that he beat me because he got ahead of me for all of 3 seconds by catching me off guard. He finally stopped by my work today so I had a chance to find out what the BS was all about. He didn't seem to have much to say except that it was having timing issues and that it was bad gas and [sm=icon_blah.gif]. When I told him how he caught me off guard and I had to turn the A/C off and downshift and that was when I caught back up to him nose to nose. Then when I shifted back into 4th is when I walked away from him like he was standing still, this is when he claims to have gotten out of it, but then why use other excuses like bad gas and off ignition timing.[sm=bustedsign.gif] The guy I work with was pushing for a rematch race and I said I was game, but he didn't seem to want to have any part of it and started making excuses as to why he couldn't or wouldn't.[sm=owned.gif]

His Chevy pick up is an early '90's regular cab short bed with a built up 350 and auto transmission. It sounds pretty good, I couldn't tell when we ran because my windows were up and the between my SRT-4's mufflerless exhaust and turbo whistling, I couldn't hear anything else.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:36 PM
moparmanjames
Veteran

Oh i hate that, these folks do a ricer fly by and then claim they beat you, but then won't race you again. Oh well, what's more irritating are the people that believe him.
My favorite tactic is to offer them a three car length lead in front of their freinds and see what they have to say, then if they say no, I say ok, 6 carlengths. If they decline, they look silly, If they accept, they lose shortly after. Either way, it's good for you!

Old 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion

i hate when people do that. they claim they can beat anything but wont prove it

Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

He was trying to claim that he beat me because he got ahead of me for all of 3 seconds by catching me off guard.
What a lame person, you definately owned him. Too bad he's not man enough to admit it too. Nice race Mitch!

-Matt-

Old 07-08-2005, 02:13 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I had some more fun last week on my way to see War Of The Worlds. I usually wash the car right after work, but when I'm going to the movies after work I usually go to the car wash on my way to the movie theater since it's on my way. So, I was on my way to the car wash and the car in front of me comes to a stop waiting to make a left onto another road. There I was waiting for them to turn so I could be on my way and another car is behind me, so when they turn I go on my way and the car behind me is riding me. I was kind of in a hurry already and I sped up some to get them off my a**, but they did the same, so I jumped into it and walked away from them. At the light ahead I make a right to go on my way and so does the other car, by this time I could tell what it was by it's front lights, it was a last gen. '00-up Firebird. I figured they would try something when we turned, so I wasn't going to let them get a jump on me. I was correct as they got into the left lane, but I had already figured they would do that and I was into it. Again I walked away easily, but the car wash was ahead and I had to slow down and pull in. I didn't get a very good look as I pulled in as to what exact version it was, but I heard the V8 in it as they passed by.

After the car wash on my continued way to the theater at the very next light I was sitting in the left lane waiting for the light to change as a few cars approach. In the right lane was aproaching some ricetard, I saw the windshield sprayer lights and heard the fart tip coffee can. He slowed down, but was still rolling as the light was changing and I pretty much figure he's gonna try and take advantage of that fact once he's seen me. I take off normal until I hear the fart tip, I couldn't let him pass especially after I see that it's a genuine Honduh Civic. Again the same, I walk away and leave them like the fart blowing in the wind that they are. They went the other way at the following light.

On a related note, I was behind an '03-'04 Eclipse spyder full of teenagers over the weekend and the passenger heard me and stood up and looked back examining my car when we got to the light. They were trying to show off, their girlies were with them, before we got to the light. I stayed glued to their bumper and thought about passing them, but it is a no passing zone and there are too many side streets. I had to keep letting off to keep from running them over which is why they kept hearing the BOV. They wanted me to rev it for them at the light, so I did. When we took off from the light they were driving more normal until we came to where the road is the main road through a neighborhood. That's when the driver decides to floor it creating a puff of smoke out of it's exhaust tip, but that's a personal no no for me, your not going to see me racing through a neighborhood, so I had to let them go on their merry way. I did learn just how slow those things are, especially the spyder full of teenagers, it's a wonder that it can hit freeway speeds.

Quick Reply: Always at the wrong time.