Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Johnny Sauter in Trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:16 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Johnny Sauter in Trouble!!!

Sauter...oops UPDATE: In a pre-race drivers meeting several weeks ago, drivers were warned by NASCAR President Mike Helton, to watch their language and to maintain a suitable level of decorum during live television (and radio) interviews in the wake of Janet Jackson's Super Bowl halftime show. Helton said. "We have a policy about profanity, and that is under more of a microscope today than it ever has been." Following the Sam's Town 300 Busch Series race at LVMS, Johnny Sauter, driver of the #27 Kleenex Pontiac, had a bone to pick with Michael Waltrip and let loose a string of expletivities during a post-race radio interview. NASCAR may come down hard on him, to make an example of what shouldn't be done. If penalties are in order, they will probably be announced by next Tuesday.(Insider Racing News)(3-9-2004)
UPDATE: NASCAR has fined Johnny Sauter $10,000, deducted 25 NASCAR Busch Series championship driver points and placed him on probation through Dec. 31 for using inappropriate language following the NASCAR Busch Series race on March 6 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Sauter, driver of the #27 Pontiac in the NASCAR Busch Series, was penalized under Section 12-4-A of the NASCAR Rule Book (Actions detrimental to stock car racing: Use of improper language.) for his comments during a post-race broadcast interview. The loss of 25 driver points dropped him from second to fourth in the NASCAR Busch Series championship standings, with an adjusted total of 425 points. The use of inappropriate language and NASCAR's lack of tolerance for such behavior was brought to the attention of all drivers by NASCAR President Mike Helton during the drivers' meeting held for the NASCAR Busch Series on Feb. 21 and the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series on Feb. 22 during the race weekend at North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham, N.C.(NASCAR PR)(3-10-2004)
UPDATE 2 - Comments: Johnny Sauter, who accidentally cursed during a PRN Radio Busch Series post race interview Saturday at Las Vegas, talked Wednesday with PRN’s Mark Garrow following NASCAR handing down its penalties. Sauter said “Obviously Mike Helton and everybody at NASCAR made a precedence in the drivers meeting at Rockingham that they weren’t gonna allow that stuff anymore, and in the heat of the battle I accidentally said something I shouldn’t have said. For the most part, I’m okay with the fine part of it but as far as the points go I don’t really feel it’s fair to penalize the team, and we’re definitely taking the precautions right now to appeal it.” Sauter added, “Obviously you don’t plan for stuff like that to happen. I mean, it’s not like I sit there and say, oh goodie here comes the radio or the TV and I can’t wait to say what I’ve got on my mind. It’s things that happen in the heat of the battle and obviously I think there are times that a microphone needs to be shoved in your face and there’s times it shouldn’t be. But, for the most part I did all the things I needed to do to apologize. I called Matt (Kenseth) and apologized to him and obviously I apologized to Dave Blaney. Like I said, it’s just one of those things that happened and it’s not going to happen again and for the most part we’re just gonna dig deep and go on.(PRN's Garage Pass Radio Show)(3-11-2004)

jayski.com

redriderbob

Quick Reply: Johnny Sauter in Trouble!!!