Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Couple of track questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Couple of track questions

im interested in that too

wouldnt it let more air flow out the box, rather then making it go up to get out

Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Megashifter
Professional

A full tonneau is best. Otherwise... run with the gate 'on" & up. 'Has to do with vortices at speed.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've actually heard the debate over the tailgate and it's position as well as covers and they have never been proven to make a noticeable difference. I'm sure it might if the truck is modified enough, but with anything near stock it doesn't make a difference what you do with the bed, it's gonna be the same either way. They also tested it on one of those shows, like Horsepower TV, and it was the same regardless of what they did with the tailgate.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Megashifter
Professional

Easy way to test this (w/o waiting for snow to accumulate in winter) Tape a series of ribbons to the bottom of the bed and top of the tailgate. Run the truck with the gate down 'n up... Watch what the ribbons do.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 AM
moparmanjames
Veteran

I used to have a link to the tailgate question. Someone tested it in the wind tunnel and found that uner most conditions the tailgate up had a better drag coefficient, except sometimes with an 8 foot bed. Also, a half cover worked better than a full cover.
I think what is happening is the air is trying to hug the body as it flows over and starts tumbling as it moves passed the cab since the transition is too steep. If the tailgate is down, it continues to tumble out the back at speed. With the tailgate up, I think a high pressure area is built up in front of the gate and more stable flow is achieved above this area. Just guessing though.
As far as bringing up the revs, the closer you are to your torque peak, the more chance you have of spinning those street tires. I would buy better tires instead of trying to make the best of a bad situation. You might get lucky and walk it out nice every now and then, but you won't be consistent.
Hey, I found the links:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=5&c=y

http://www.linear-logic.com/tailgate.htm

Old 07-08-2005, 03:07 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my slow street car, the tires spin either way...but im faster with the Rs up...
what rpm do you launch at james?

Old 07-08-2005, 03:49 AM
moparmanjames
Veteran

It depends on how I'm reacting to the light, usually I take it to around 3000, I stage as shallow as I can and leave on the third yellow, if I am redlighting, I drop the revs down to 1500, since I already let ALOT of air out of the front tires to get maximum rollout.
I run 215 75 15's in front and my air pressure is probably 20psi or less.
I usually get a 1.65-1.68 60' with the D.O.T. tires, with slicks it's a 1.60-1.62.
I don't like taking it too high since it tends to push a bit and screws my light up.
I am usually on the verge of redlighting so I try and give myself as much room as possible!
I'd probably pick up .5 if I aired my front tires up!LOL

Old 07-08-2005, 01:14 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

haha...i run lots of air in the skinnies, and i just tickle the stage bulbs...i am launching around 3300 rpm with the mirada, and i range from 1.68-1.73 60s on an average day...I have tried flashing the mirada, but it seems that traction is worse. when you say DOts, do you run like hoosiers, or BFGs? im sure youve told me before, but i cant recall,.

the stratus on the other hand, i still barely stage, but i leave much earlier...at quaker last year, i had 3 .501s in a row...in the finals, .499 red...

its tough going back and forth from the 12 second car to the 16 second car...the mirada leaves on the third amber, and the RT can leave as soon as were both staged...

Old 07-08-2005, 02:47 PM
moparmanjames
Veteran

I bought the MT Sportsman Pro's since they were on sale and had a bit more sidewall for street driving, I'll probably use the Hoosier or MT radial next, I like to drive it to work now and then.
I feel more comfortable now with the air low in the front tires, I used to redlight alot in the later rounds, now I can push it a little and have that .501 where it used to be a .480 to .499 or
so.
I lost last time out with a .500 and electrical problems! My tack was all over the place so I didn't know where to shift, he came around at the end.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i had the Same problem last year with my tach jumping, and also in late rounds..[:@]

did you diagnose the issue??

Quick Reply: Couple of track questions