Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

camaro vs some ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:45 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: camaro vs some ferrari

There was a episode on Top Gear were a Mistubishi Evo ran a track course literally on the rear end of a Lamborghini Murcielago. Granted, the car was modded and AWD...... but it was still a car that cost almost 150,000 dollars less....

Bottom line - HP means nothing if you aint got the torque to back it up.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:20 PM
1SlowFormula
Professional

Not that I want to get my A$$ handed to me on this site, but I have been playing with my 95 formula (similar to the z28) for a few years I never got into engine mods, I have only a limited number of boltons, and have super high 2.73 gears.. I run 13.17 in the 1/4, give me gears, headers, and exhaust I should easily see low-mid 12's, so I don't see this as too unbelievable.... Oh and I know a lot of guy in my f-body club running deep into the 11's without doing much more then boltons and a cam... I also know if this guy did motor work and did it right, then it could be a 9-10 second motor only car.. They are few and far between though.. FYI the LT1 record right now with the stock long block is high 10.90's

Please don't flame me, I just have a lot of knowledge on this topic, I have been around modded camaro's and firebird's for over 9 years...

Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and ive been drag racing for 9 or 10 years, and none of the F body guys can answer my question....ill put it in caps so no one can miss it...

IF AN LS1 CAMARO/FIREBIRD CAN RUN "11S WITH LITTLE TO NO WORK" THEN WHY DONT THEY? WHY ARE THERE 13 AND 14 SECOND FBODIES AT THE TRACK?"

you cant all just say "driver error" either...

Old 08-05-2005, 09:54 PM
moparmanjames
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 1SlowFormula

Not that I want to get my A$$ handed to me on this site, but I have been playing with my 95 formula (similar to the z28) for a few years I never got into engine mods, I have only a limited number of boltons, and have super high 2.73 gears.. I run 13.17 in the 1/4...

Please don't flame me, I just have a lot of knowledge on this topic, I have been around modded camaro's and firebird's for over 9 years...
Ok, so you have a super light 95 firebird, nice job.
I'll say that it is complete B.S. that any stock longblock LT1 Camaro is going to run 10 anything without nitrous or some other power adder and a serious diet. The camshaft was only a 340ish or so HP unit and you'd need to be very light.
Say he has some super intake and exhaust that makes his engine have 400hp and say 420tq, with 4.56 gears and a 2500# car with driver and a race clutch and he runs 10.90's if it is at sea level and if it is 60 degrees out.
I have been building engines for over 20 years and helping build them for over 30.
One of my best friends had a formula and was track champion 2 years in a row and he ran 14.1's to 14.5's depending where he raced. I've built small and big block chevies and am currently building a 9.5:1 468 with canfield heads in a 1970 Camaro so I can advertize to chevy folks so that I can use that money for my Mopars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6895/0819296FDCF146389F1179FC7AF48359.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: camaro vs some ferrari