Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
42.86%
No
14.29%
Maybee
42.86%
I don't understand
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Double File Restarts for Nextel Cup?

Old 08-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double File Restarts for Nextel Cup?

I think this is an interesting idea, that could turn into a good idea.
At the very least they should try it out for a few races.

ORIGINAL: http://www.racindeals.com/record.asp?ArticleID=1032

Double File Restarts for Nextel Cup?
By Michael Daly
stp43fan@hotmail.com
7/31/2005

When New Hampshire International Speedway's mid-summer Nextel Cup weekend kicked off, the first two divisions to take the green were the Busch North and Whelen Modified Series, the two divisions whose racing perhaps best summarizes NHIS as a speedway. The two divisions have consistently put on good racing, especially the Modifieds. Busch North has been back to the future for Mike Stefanik this season. Driving the Grizwold family's #55 Chevrolet, he ended a lengthy drought in the division at Holland Speedway and then followed up with a stout message in the New England 125, his first Busch North win at NHIS since his double-title season in both Busch North and the Modifieds in 1998.

The car that wedged between the Grizco cars all day was the Dodge of Brian Hoar, who may be the most big-picture-oriented driver in the series, and by big picture he does not mean points. "We've got more work to do," Hoar noted. "We try to get some assistance from other Dodge teams but it's hard because it's hard getting to know the right people and so forth, but we're trying and we're working to become more competitive."

Hoar's big-picture view of the sport may be reaching the powers-that-be in NASCAR circles, for after the New England 125 he commented on some elements of the big picture, and at least one such angle got changed. "The reality is that NASCAR can take some steps to help the series become better," Hoar continued. "The extra weight we run, and I've heard several drivers say we need to take 200 pounds out of the cars and I agree with that, it makes us change the brake packages we run. We have to run very expensive brakes now. The weight is an issue they can do, and also going to double-file restarts. The single-file stinks, it does nothing for the fans. Growing up we always did double-file restarts and the fast guys started in the rear. We used to do a handicap system via a redraw of the top six or eight qualifiers and we need to get back to that."

The new rules that have been passed into the series "took on a lot to pair us with the west coast series that used to be called Winston West. They thought to make it similar to the South series, but why do we have to run the same kind of deal as them? They run longer shows and run crazy stuff for qualifying even today. There are some things NASCAR can do to make it better for us and for the fans."

Apparently someone at NASCAR like Don Hawk, now NASCAR's Director Of Regional Racing Development, was listening, for NASCAR recently implemented a change to restart procedures for Busch North and the sanctioning body's Western division, formerly the Winston West Series. Now all restarts are to be double-file, just as in short tracks, based on track position - the car running second lines up to the right of the leader, fourth place second on the outside line, etc.

"These changes give more competitors the chance to race wheel-to-wheel, fender-to-fender, and have a more exciting product for the fans," Hawk said. "It is another phase of changing our competition model."

It's a pretty substantial change, and it begs the question - will we eventually see double-file restarts at the Nextel Cup level? Certainly the arguments about restarts apply as well to Nextel Cup as to the sanctioning body's smaller divisions, and double-file restarts can be a benefit on all the tracks but especially on short tracks and particularly on tracks like Bristol which are not terribly conductive to side by side racing. There is also the absurd level of importance with track position, and in single-file restarts it is endless how many cars lose contact with the leader by being stuck in the back.

Certainly local tracks have consistently proven the worth of double-file restarts, such as in Stafford Motor Speedway's July 29 program. In Late Models there was a hard period of sustained door to door combat for the lead and Rick Lanagan pitted on an early caution, restarted last, and through several more restarts and hard charging he finished second to defending Late Model champ Ryan Possacco. Double-file restarts were even more spectacular in that night's SK Modified feature as Chris Osella and Rosco Sandburg went at it for the lead for several laps and nearly got swamped three abreast several times; eventually Woody Pitkat, a former Late Model and Pro Stock competitor at Stafford, took the win over Chuck Docherty.

In my opinion, a change to double-file restarts for Busch North and NASCAR West won't solve all the sport's problems but will definitely have a positive effect on the racing - something Nextel Cup should watch.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Copyright 7/31/2005
by Michael Daly

Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Default RE: Double File Restarts for Nextel Cup?

I voted maybe. We should try it for the first few races.

-Matt-

Old 08-04-2005, 10:39 PM
RB26DETT300ZXgirl
Rookie

well, call me lazy, but hows'bout some paraphrasing for those of us who dont want to read all of that??

Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Boulee
Record Breaker

I highlighted te important parts for the lazy people

Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good, I like the idea. It should make it a little more exciting and make it harder for drivers to defend their positions.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:42 PM
turboram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Viper-GTS

I voted maybe. We should try it for the first few races.

-Matt-
im with matt try it for a few races and how go's

Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

I voted no...I think the way it is now is fine...also I don't think laped cars should be able to restart at the front either, it always causes problems and makes everyone else slower.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

that is an awfully conflicted statement.

You think the way it is now is fine.

But you dislike lapped cars starting from the front, which is the way it is now.

or did you mean that you would rather it be a single file restart?

I dont see any issues with doing the doulble file restarts. then it would truly be a restart
re·start ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-stärt)
v. re·start·ed, re·start·ing, re·starts
v. tr.
To start again or anew: restarted the engine after it stalled.

v. intr.
To begin operation again.
They start the race in a double file, so what is wrong with restarting the race the same way?

***Double file, odd positions on the inside, even positions on the outside, last position in the back of the field.***

Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: chud298

I voted no...I think the way it is now is fine...also I don't think laped cars should be able to restart at the front either, it always causes problems and makes everyone else slower.
I don't think, they meant the lapped cars...

Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 AM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

ORIGINAL: chud298

I don't think, they meant the lapped cars...
Yeah I know that they didn't mean lapped cars, I was just sayin...also what I mean about the way I like it now is single file restarts, like what they do when there's less than 10 laps left or 5 laps Can't remember.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double File Restarts for Nextel Cup?