Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

DEI appealing penalties stemming from Loudon

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DEI appealing penalties stemming from Loudon

Michael Waltrip was docked 25 driver points and fined $10,000 for allegedly using an "inappropriate gesture" on TV. Credit: Autostock

DEI appealing penalties stemming from Loudon
Team Release
September 22, 2005
03:44 PM EDT (19:44 GMT)

MOORESVILLE, N.C. -- Dale Earnhardt Inc. will appeal the points and monetary fines against Michael Waltrip and Teresa Earnhardt stemming from last week's race at New Hampshire International Speedway.

Waltrip, driver of the No. 15 Chevrolet, was docked 25 driver points and fined $10,000 for allegedly using an "inappropriate gesture during a televised broadcast."

"In looking at the tape, we don't see anywhere during the entire incident where Michael did what he is accused of doing," said Richie Gilmore, Vice President of Motorsports for DEI.

The penalties were a result of an on-track incident between Waltrip and Robby Gordon. The two were battling for fourth place on Lap 191 when they tangled in Turn 2, sending Gordon hard into the wall.

Gordon got out his car and hurled his helmet at Waltrip's car, then proceeded to call Waltrip a profane word in an ensuing TV interview.

Waltrip's in-car camera caught him sticking his hand out the window and make a gesture, then a wave.

Gordon was docked 25 points and fined $25,000 for attempting to hit another competitor's car during a caution period, and then throwing his helmet at another competitor's car. In addition, car owner James Smith was docked 25 owner points.

He also received a 25-point penalty and was fined $10,000 for use of improper language during a television interview during the race. Gordon has been placed on probation for the remainder of the year.

Both Gordon and Waltrip were required to visit with NASCAR after the race.

NASCAR.com

Old 09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
chud298
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DEI appealing penalties stemming from Loudon

I agree on this one. I'm not sure how much Waltrip had to do with knocking out Gordon.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:28 AM
MGDMike
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DEI appealing penalties stemming from Loudon

Unless NASCAR saw video that hasn't been shown on the air, I don't recall him giving the bird to Ragin' Robby. However, if I were him I'd sneak in the garage late at night at the next race and key his car!!

Quick Reply: DEI appealing penalties stemming from Loudon