Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

What was your best challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
ninety5sport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was your best challenge?

Just out of curiousity... what's been everybody's closest race, the best challenge you've taken with your Neon? (and please, dear god, don't go off about how you beat this Civic or something else like that)

Me, personally, the closest I've ever had was a Toyota MR2 Spyder out on the interstate... I was going about 75 passing a few people when it came up behind me at about 85... as soon as I passed the cars, I moved back over to the right lane and held that speed, didn't think much of it... as I was coming up to my exit about 15 miles later, I came across it again (there was a Miata behind it, the reason it stands out in my mind) in the right lane, and I went to go around them... The MR2 sped up to match, could tell it was a standard by the way the car and driver moved... I barely pulled ahead and got my exit at about 135, according to my speedo. That's been the closest challenge I've had so far, probably back in... August? I haven't really had a lot of opportunities to really get into it with anyone, besides a few Grand Ams...

(The MR2 Spyder is a 1.8 pushing 138 at the crankshaft and weighs 21xx lbs, v/s an SOHC '95 sedan)

Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: What was your best challenge?

The closest race that I have had was with a 2000-2004 V6 Stang. I was on the freeway going to a friends house and passed him. He obviously thought this was me challenging him. I was doing 75 so he shot up to 80. I figured hey what the hell. Punched it and he did the same. Stayed right up behind him, doing about 100 or so, couldnt really cut loose due to traffic and fear of jail. (On I-435 there are police like no other) Did that for probably 3 min. Stayed right on his *** really close race. Ive beaten mid 90s model Rustangs, but as we all know the 00 models and higher had a better motor with more power. Really close though. I think when I get my exhaust kit ill be able to pass him. I probably could that night but like I said, the fuzz are in swarms here.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
ninety5sport

That's the plus with the road I was on... that stretch of I-79 for about 40 miles or so, there's never any cops. I used to commute from my house down to my college before I moved, I only saw a cop on that road once (out of about 8 months or so). Speed limit's 55 at that point, but they don't care as long as you're going under 70 or 80.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

Yeah I-435 Is the second busies freeway in the Kansas City Area, about a million people travel it every night, and with traffic comes lots of police. The Racing scene in Kansas City is big, but it is dieing, mostly due to the fact that the police have finally caught on to all the hot spots, its getting harder and harder to find "safe" places to race. My brother is a police officer with some seniority, so im not worried. However, not every one that races is related to a cop so for everyone else, there is almost certain jail for racing over 100. The communities here, and there are 50 of them in the area have all adopted a Zero tolerance policy against racing. People get huge fines just for burn outs now. While I still think there will always be street racing, the scene here in Kansas City, and every other major metro im shure is dieing off. I know St.Louis and Minneapolis metros all have the same policies. But yea I too would love to hear more stories.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

raced a civic SIR w/ ZC DOHC SWAP and a hole lotta goodies...they weigh like 2000 lbs...and I never really took it to 7200 rpms like I could i just shifted @ 6800 RPMs and we were evenly matched...then there was awd ford f350 turbo that i raced light to light and you could tell he was gettin pretty pissed about gettin taken by a little skittle...raced a z28 camaro ond lost by like two car lengths from 0-60...then there was a prelude I spanked still dont know how that worked out as it was the SI...then there was eclipses and talons and so-on....my friends lancer was no contest 0-100 i was way ahead and im thinkin thats why he took his new lancer and traded it for a COBALT SS but those can barely beat me so dont ask me why he didnt get the SRT-4, I told him he should have got it......cuz well......chebby sux in the sc aspect of the ECOTECs and ppl ditch em for turbos... go fig. A lot of ppl hate on my car cuz of the paint or wheels .....they say its riced out and what not.......dont have a single sticker on it except DF's and now Im domestic rice cuz I got a spoiler altezzas and front end kit....no sideskirts or kitted rear bumper. Oh, well theyll get over it someday...its funny how much hate you can get from a neon....bet theyll hate it even more pushin 300 hp on serious boost......

Old 11-18-2005, 12:43 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Please tell me I'm not the only one here that actually races (as opposed to street ricing).

Closest I remember was a slightly modified Focus SVT. Only had me by 0.06 in the 1/4, even though his trap speed was a good 3 mph faster. And that wasn't even my best time for the day.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:49 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I would track race if there were a closer track.....Ill be auto x-ing this spring in Grissom however...I really dont street race very much tho...Maybe 3 times this year...and I dont get all crazy like the other ppl... racing through traffic like idiots...about the only time I get stooopid is when Im late for work...but then again who doesnt??? Plus we bracket race but not nearly as fun as AUTO x ....

Old 11-19-2005, 02:30 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

The only reason that I street race is because when you only have 10 bucks and nothing else to do on a Friday night what else you gonna do. The only time I really street race, well except when I took on above Mustang, is at like 1 in the morning where the chances of you actually hitting someone are slim to none, in industrial/commercial office areas. Last night I took a Extream S-10, really close race. The guy and me were trying to figure out who won. Couldnt get a winner out of it. In anycase yes street racing is dangerous, and sometimes stupid. But if we had an autobahn like feeway we wouldnt have this problem now would we .

Old 11-19-2005, 07:29 PM
95SPRTcpe
Rookie

well mine wasn't on the street, it was at one of the local tracks around here. it was only a 1/10 mile or 1/8 mile. but it was an interesting day, because this guy had an srt-4 so we raced. you all already know the outcome of this one. but our 60ft times were the same (all driver, not the car). then there was a guy with a pt there (non-turbo), i beat his *** all day. but getting to the good one, even though i lost. it was agaisnt a 79 corvette, it was an auto and i'd have to say this was all driver. because i got him out of the whole, and he didn't pass me until almost the end, and won by less then 1/2 a car. so i was i was pretty damn proud of that even though i lost. and the guy gave me a *thumbs up*, so i think he was pretty impressed. i love taking my neon down to the track because people see it as a grocrey getter. but we all know it has LOTS!!! of potential, and is just a great car. because without the neon, we probley wouldn't have the srt-4. and the world with out an srt4 well thats just hell now isn't it.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:10 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My closest on the street was in my '88 Daytona Shelby Z against an '87-'88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that had the turbo 4 replaced with a built 302. We went from light to light and were door to door the entire time. He couldn't believe that I kept with him and asked me what I had in it and I told him that it was just a little 4 banger turbo.

My closest in a Neon was at the track in my SRT-4 against a low 11 second Viper GTS that I beat by just a tenth of a second. He launched and left me far behind as expected, but the next thing I know I'm gaining on him fast. I didn't think I had him beat until I got the timeslip. It seems as though he just quit after or just before the 1/8 mile mark as he had the same speed through the traps as he did at the 1/8 mile mark. I have no idea why he did that, he went right back to the staging lanes for another low 11 run so it wasn't the car. My greatest loss was the run after that against another Viper GTS that was running high 10's, he didn't quit and throughly stomped me.

Quick Reply: What was your best challenge?