Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

My first official drag race!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:52 AM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first official drag race!

Well I did it and I must say it was one of the most fun things I have done so far. My adrenaline rush at my first run was about 100 times more than it has ever been racing on the street, I got calmed down a bit during my last two runs but it was still a rush! I am a bit confused though: My first run was against a Lightning, I didn't choose to race him he just kind of ended up next to me. The guy in the tower was pretty funny. Before we raced he goes, "Yea, big Dodge Ram, that thing got a HEMI?" I burned out and he said, "Wow I guess it does." When I took off from the line I couldn't hear him but my friend told me he said, "That's definately a HEMI." The Lightning was a little more than a car length ahead of me and I had time to see his time light up at 13.92. The guy in the tower announced that I did a 15.15 @ 88. I didn't get my time slip because their computer jammed up or something. My next race (from here on out I have it on tape) was against a 2003 Mustang GT, again, I didn't choose to race him he just ended up next to me. I whipped his *** all the way to the finish line where he pased me, barely! I was so mad, I could see him getting closer and closer but I didn't think he passed me before the finish. That time I put my tailgate down. The guy in the tower said I ran a 15.12 @ 89 and the Mustang ran a 14.98 @ 90. I got my time slip and it said I did a 15.7 @ 86, but it still said the GT did a 14.9. My headlight was even with his rear-view mirror when we finished, I have it on tape. To my concern, the sign at the end of the track also said I did a 15.7. Now I was between pissed and embarassed. I took my spare tire out, folded my mirrors in, and put the tailgate down. This time I was up against a Grand National, I opted to wait, knowing this would be my last run, I wanted to get at least one win. I got next to an early 90's Chevy truck that had been doing pretty consistant 15.3's. We took off and he had me all the way to about the mid way mark when I pulled on him. I passed him and won! The tower said I did a 15.0 @ 90 and he did a 15.5 @ 86. I was upset I didn't break into the 14's, time for some Cold Air Intake while I wait for my Supercharger to go on sale. The guys there were pretty impressed, they said I did really good for it being my first time doing this ever. My slips are out in my truck right now so I'm not sure what my reaction times were exactly, but my reaction times were awesome. I killed all three of the other cars right off the line. I wasn't paying attention to where my RPM's were, I was nervous so I just stared at the tree the whole time. I did a small burn out before the first two races and a pretty big one before my last run. I have no idea where I was at the green light but I was probably above 2,000 RPM's. It was pretty dam fun! It's definately a lot more fun when you aren't paranoid and looking for cops the whole time.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:57 AM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker

By the way, how do I post a video on here? The camera we were using is four years old and the tape in it inserts into a VCR tape, no fancy digital internet connection or anything like that.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That rocks for your first time out. Did you have any trouble with wheel spin? [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-30-2004, 01:02 AM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker

Nope, no problem with wheel spin at all.

I don't have Tow/Haul Mode on my truck. I took the Overdrive off, do you think that helped or hurt me?

Old 04-30-2004, 01:42 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Should of helped.....

Old 05-04-2004, 03:30 AM
sonicblue02

sorry, just got to say that you would have been smoked by a 2003 Mustang GT....if it was a manual it would have run 14.0, if it was auto it would have run like 14.7, so it must have been auto. Also, if you were almost a second behind the stang in 1/4 time you definitely were not at his rear view mirror......sorry to crash your parade. If you did put up well against the stang, than it was b/c the driver was HORRIBLE. But congrats on your times and I hope you had fun.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:03 PM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker

His reaction time was 1.58. I'll gladly show you the video when somebody can tell me how to put it on here.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:28 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2003 Mustang is that quick?[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 05-04-2004, 01:30 PM
uhoh
Rookie

Sonicblues point, I think, is that the Tang had to make up almost a full second over the distance of a quarter mile. Therefore at 80-90 mph the tang made up about 6-7 car lengths. The question I have is were you running based on time ie bracket racing or was this a heads up race, no time necessary? The 1 vehicle length difference between you and the lightning leads me to believe you are racing bracket. Therefore, the fastest of the two vehicles has to wait at the line until the difference in the two vehicles time has elapsed. If the tang was showing a time of 14.9 and the Dodge was 15.7 then the tang would have to wait .8 seconds to leave the line.

If you were running heads up then the tang with a 1.58 RT was taking a nap and gave you almost a full second head start, yet the tang still beat you to the end, although just barely.

BTW I have not seen a Ford GT stock run 14.00. I have seen it with slicks and an experienced driver or with mods. The GT's I have seen run with normal folks behind the wheel and normal conditions turn 14.5-15.2.

I am hoping to get out to our local drag next Friday night and see what the big pig does. I have an 03 4x4 quad cab short bed hemi. I am hoping to see a mid 16 at least, but won't be impressed unless I pull a low 16. My ford was pulling high 16's.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:40 PM
sonicblue02

Uhoh, got my point exactly, thanks. But 99+ Mustang GT's run low 14's stock. You can get the V6 (manual) down to 15.3-5 area stock, I even read one article in a car magazine (can't remember which one), but the Professional driver actually broke like a 14.99 or something like that, but remember it was a Pro. I have presonally seen a 2003 Stock GT run 14.2 in the 1/4, of course it was stick. The cobra and mach1 are a totally different story. But "UhOh" thanks for clarifying what I said earlier.

Quick Reply: My first official drag race!