Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Toyota in NASCAR Nextel Cup, now official..

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toyota in NASCAR now official..

ORIGINAL: Dodgegirl19

The downfall of NASCAR begins...

~Amanda
Why? Why does a foreign car entering Nascar have to signal its downfall? They have to abide by the same rules, same principles. They dont get to do much of anything as far as cheating....and the V8 they'll use will be a Lexus motor anyhow...

I personally think its really pointless. They entered the Truck series, and that went well....and it made for more options for drivers...

I hate Ford, and up until Dodge returned...you had Pontiac....and Chevy...If I couldnt have chose Chevy, Id have chose Toyota.....

The current car lineup will be in for 2 years....then they switch to the Car of Tomorrow....which basically is the same engine, chassis, 90% body panels that EVERY car will use...

The whopping 10% that will be different will be paint jobs, stickers, and specially molded front clips that represent the cars....

Basically...it becomes a funny car style body...and everything else is 100% identical.... so how does NASCAR fall apart?

Shoot, their ratings were up....attendance is up....and I've gone to the Brickyard race every year since its inaugural run....

Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to see American brands race in a great American sport... I don't care that Toyota's are made here in the USA, they are still a foreign brand name.

I'm not about to argue my point... I just don't care to see Toyota racing in the Nextel Cup. I PERSONALLY feel it's a bad move, and I'm allowed to think that.

~Amanda

Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Dodgegirl19

I want to see American brands race in a great American sport... I don't care that Toyota's are made here in the USA, they are still a foreign brand name.

I'm not about to argue my point... I just don't care to see Toyota racing in the Nextel Cup. I PERSONALLY feel it's a bad move, and I'm allowed to think that.

~Amanda
At least you have a reason....and that's why I had to ask. I personally am on the fence with this...I see good and bad from it....and honestly....I can appreciate wanting to see American brands race....especially here in the USA....

I personally would like to see more road racing then the oval stuff tho...

Old 01-25-2006, 12:24 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you do understand that nascar doesnt apply to the disgustingly PC "everyone should get along and love each other" right? i mean, youve been to the brickyard, which is more of a poser nascar race...but, you used to live in the south...have you been to any of the real nascar tracks?

you know, the rebel flags, the rednecks, your occassional drunken skinheads, etc...you do understand that the majority of nascar fans (and by majority, i mean like some 90%) probably dont "Care much for colored folks", right?

rednecks dont like minorities...rednecks are the only reason why nascar is so popular...mind you, not ALL nascar fans are racist rednecks, but its clear from spending alot of time at darlington, atlanta, rockingham, and charlotte, that hiroyuki sakai's race team isnt going to be well received by jim bob and billy mike....those are two people, not four...

now the PC police are going to have to walk the grounds for racist shirts and hats...or signs...the world has already taken away professional with the likes of mark henry, and football with an entire league of minorities...and now, to top it all off rednecks are going to have to deal with "import teams"...and im sure that the defense to this logic will be that bill davis is the firt toyota owner, but this does open the door for japanese investors, who love poking their heads and money into american sports...

so, from the typical nascar redneck fan point of view...how exactly does alloing toyota into nascar improve it? and answer without using the car of tomorrow stuff, and without using non-rednecks like yourself pulling for toyota instead of chevy.

the only thing that i see, is that it gives the rednecks someone to hate...because rednecks wont care that toyota is built in america, or that its owned by bill davis...hell, most US labor unions dont allow members to drive foreign products, and id venture to guess that there are plenty of union nascar fans....

to rednecks and union workers, toyota=japan, not america...no matter how you word it, its taking money away from americans, and im sure that rednecks will flare up against that..even the unemployed masses.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:48 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'll answer these backwards....

1.) Allowing Toyota into NASCAR, in any version of it, only adds money to NASCAR's pockets....nothing more. It does nothing for the sport as of right now, but has the potential to maybe make the sport a bit more "diverse". I see it as good because I'm tired of seeing the crap from Ford racing....but I also see it as bad because like Amanda said...they are stepping on what is basically an American traditional racing circuit.

2.) I cannot believe you called the Indy 500 a poser track.....I'm assuming you call it poser because its not the traditional style NASCAR race? It's the oldest racing speedway in the world...and one of the oldest period...Daytona isnt even half as old...Indianapolis is the racing capital in the USA....and that is bar none.....you can talk Daytona all you want....but I've been to both tracks...and the NASCAR race here at Indy is virtually almost as big. Also, half the drivers in NASCAR would love to drive the Indy 500 in a Indy car.....you dont see many guys from the IRL or CART or even Formula 1 screaming to run Daytona. Some of the best racers are midwest born and raised....and you have two guys...Gordon and Stewart...who are some of the best there is....and both would rather run Indy then Daytona....and that IS a fact. Sorry, but I gotta defend my beloved track [8D]

3.) As for the rednecks......you are right....they do support at least 85% of the fan base...the only way I can see Toyota improving the sport for the rednecks is to give them someone to hate even more then they do already. I can imagine them lining up to throw bottles at Waltrip just because he's in a Toyota there are more minorities then you realize...but alot of them dont do your traditional "southern" tracks. I see a large amount of blacks and hispanics at the Brickyard....and I saw a bunch at the Texas Speedway as well.....

3a.) The whole racial thing has been a potential boil for NASCAR for the last 7-8 years, as the sport has literally quaddrupled in popularity, but I think they wont be as bad as you think, except in some of those more remote hickish areas.... I am more black then white....and I hung out with a lot of blacks in both Texas and Georgia...and didnt have very many issues at all...especially at races...but..I could have very well been lucky too...

4.) I've been to Daytona (bike trip), Texas Speedway, Brickyard, Michigan, and Atlanta (bike trip). Since I'm not a hardcore NASCAR fan like some would say....I can see your viewpoint...and I also support it too...

5.) I wasnt pulling for Toyota over Chevy. I was saying that if I could NOT choose Chevy, I'd have most likely gone Toyota myself...as Dodge hasnt impressed me, Ford is falling to crap, and Chevy has been the winningest manufacturer for like 15 years now...

6.) While you are again, absolutely right in the general perception that foreign companies are taking our money back overseas, you'd be surprised by the amount of American companies going overseas to screw our country out of paying it money....you also would have to include DCX and GM in particular for being bad about taking plants out of the country....Toyota and Nissan in particular....literally have become American companies, even if they are owned by foreigners....

Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

by calling indy a poser track, i meant that nascar tried to de-redneck their circuit by having races there...it has a long history, but most real nascar fans couldnt care any less. actually, i couldnt care any less..lol i think that IRL and cart are TERRIBLY boring...but then again, i lose interested in nascar quickly...professional racing in which every car qualifiying doesnt go over 200mph bores me...they moved it to tracks like indy, and i believe that they ran at chicagoland at least once? as well as in japan, to try to diversify the crowd a bit, and in doing so, im sure that they attract along of non-rednecks in indy, but even from the viewpoint of myself, someone who enjoys the occassional race, it really is a sport of rednecks.

a nascar race car has 600hp? so do the nhra pro stock bikes...the NHRA funny cars have 5000 hp, and the nhra sportsman class has more than 600hp, and are probably all faster. so my point is that i am far more interested in drag racing, but seeing as how im active in it, to say the least, that could be one reason.

nascar seems so rigged to me anymore, that id almost rather watch a bunch of modded civics zip around laguna seca than watch a nascar race at indy..i do, however, enjoy nascar, especially short tracks. when i was young, my dad took me to at least a few races a year, and when i was 16 i was on a pit crew for a dirt track car...then i found drag racing...

i dont want to come across as being anti-import, as i am one of the bigger import supporters here (as some have pointed out) but i dont see how this car help build the fan base...

Old 01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
52b3b108
Veteran

I have been a NASCAR fan ever since I was old enough to know it existed. There has always been big transitions when the baton was handed to the next France member. I resolved that Toyota was coming and there's no sense in complaining about something that can't be fixed. I am a fan of cars that go fast and the drivers that sit in them. When I watch a race my loyalty may change from one person to the next and it doesn't matter what brand they drive. When they went from using actual stock chassis to building their own was the start of a generic race car. I will cheer for Johnny Benson (for example), because I think he is a decent person who deserves more recognition than he's gotten, and driving a Toyota doesn't detract from that. I've read some of the history books on NASCAR and this same kind of stuff was a hot topic back in the beginning too.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The sport is more popular than it has been in a long time. I mean, even Lil fricken Bow Wow is a fan, lol. When I went to the Pepsi 400 at Daytona last year, if anyone remembers, we stood in the rain for 3 hours before the race finally got started again, and you know what... Not 1 person left...

However I do agree about the redneck part. As I have many friends who are just like that. I don't know what they would do if a foreign/black person ever touched the beloved #8 car...

I don't think many people will like this...

I haven't been a fan as long as you guys, as I only got into NASCAR in late 2004... so that was all I have to say...

My reason for not wanting Toyota in, is the same as Amandas.

Short tracks own other tracks... and Ryan Newman owns short tracks...

Old 01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

have you ever heard the fake radio station call to some devout earnhart fan, where they are trying convince this redneck that some black guy is going to start driving the number 8 since junior is competitive? it is FUNNY as hell...

Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah, I haven't heard it... but I will search on Limewire for it...

Quick Reply: Toyota in NASCAR Nextel Cup, now official..