Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Toyota in NASCAR Nextel Cup, now official..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toyota in NASCAR now official..

There's no doubt NASCAR started as a "regional" (read that as "redneck") form of racing and it has managed to spread to most of the US and even Mexico in the past several decades. There IS a hardcore redneck/southern type of fan that won't greet this news with much happiness. It looks as though NASCAR is telling the people who supported it thru good years and bad years to go take a leap.

NASCAR's #1 concern now is $$$, not fan loyality.

Dusty

Old 01-25-2006, 11:42 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it sounds like the rest of the businesses in this country....which is another problem with "young people" anymore..there is no sense of loyalty, to anything or anyone.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

And the ironic thing is that they're getting it from the "older generation" (big business)............[:'(]

Dusty

Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More on Toyota's move to Cup

More on Toyota's move to Cup: According to Toyota Racing Development officials, the newest manufacturer will field six Camrys when it debuts in 2007. Bill Davis Racing, Waltrip-Jasper Racing and Team Red Bull will each enter two apiece. The only driver sure to be racing a Toyota in 2007 is Michael Waltrip. Dave Blaney, who will drive a Dodge for Davis this year, is only under a one-year contract with the team.(Gaston Gazette)(1-26-2006)

Jayski.com

Old 02-17-2006, 02:03 AM
GreyGhost
All Star
Default RE: More on Toyota's move to Cup

I doubt all of the "Redneck" NASCAR fans will be pissed off. I'm sure alot of the fans in Georgetown KY (home of the Camry plant) will be excited! You can look at the "American made" vs "Foreign" from different perspectives. 90% of Camry's are made by Americans...

Old 02-17-2006, 02:11 AM
GreyGhost
All Star

This is one of the reasons that DW supports Toyota so much in the Truck series (which by the way is doing pretty good for itself). I honestly don't keep up with the truck series that much but I don't think the fans caused much of a commotion when Toyota was inducted into the pits. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I'll still root for the EMS dodges no matter what.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:59 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASCARS decline started years ago as far as I'm concerned. By "I'm concerned" I mean a former true fan of the sport. They took the reward for innovation out of the mix by banning first, cars that still met their qualification standards and then banned engines that gave a manufacturer an "unfair advantage" in other words HEMI. That is when I began to question the logic behind NASCAR. In the 90's they began the politically correct era and that took away the personalities aspect from the fan-driver standpoint. Say the wrong thing and you are docked points or fined? What the hell does that have to do with racing a car? Noticed how Tony Stewart has mellowed out and how drivers who were known to voice an opinion that might be contrary to the views of NASCAR aren't on camera very often? What is the logic I wondered often to what they are doing to a once interesting sport? Then it dawned on me! If one car dominates that's only one sponsor getting air time. If one driver is opinionated cameras will focus on him and the patches on his driver suit and his opinions might put NASCAR in a bad light or expose them for what they are really about. And Dusty hit the nail on the head. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! NASCAR wants those cameras picking up all the sponsors, field rundown anyone? Too long of a green flag run, debris caution! Get in some commercials. Why is this debris caution taking 15 laps? It's all too staged and planned out to make NASCAR more money. So what you have now is a spec series of rolling billboards that isn't official until the car of tommorow debuts. And a bunch of automatons driving and saying pleasant things for the cameras and the sponsors. Are you still wondering why NASCAR wants TOYOTA in? It isn't to broaden the fan base it's to broaden the sponser base. Long gone are the days of the Allisons, Yarboroughs, Pearsons and the Pettys duking it out on the track and in the pits. If you never got to see any of the real racing back in the day I'm sorry for you because that's when it was about the racing and the drivers. It was truly a thing to behold!

Quick Reply: Toyota in NASCAR Nextel Cup, now official..