Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

2004 Dodge Ram HEMI // Chevy SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Rabones22
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram HEMI // Chevy SS

I had some fun a bit ago during the summer with a Chevy SS. Lot of hype and talk about which truck is faster and not a bunch of people know which one is faster. Dodge's seem more Beastier (if there is such a word) but I would have to say, I found out first hand how my truck would do to that of a SS.

So one night I was driving through some roads and I saw a Chevy SS at a gas station and I pulled into the next parking Lot seeing if possibly I could get a chance with this one. Anyhow, the Chevy SS pulls out of the gas station and hit the red light, and I pulled out next to them. I couldn't see who was in it cause the windows were tinted, but started rev'n my engine and was followed by them rev'n theirs up.

Next thing I know the window gets rolled down and it's a chick and she smiles at me. So we're getting ready, seeing the other light change and I rev up my engine, torque braking and ready to launch. It turns green and my truck launches me back and I jump probably about a good trucks length ahead and all i know is i thought I had 'her'... My RPMs were soaring high and I guess I jacked up by just pushing it and probably should have let off to gear in, but 1st time didnt work. So next I see her truck just pass my truck, not super fast, but she gained and just passed as if i was going 10mph and she was going 15mph, just slowly, catching up and passing.

I was pissed and her and I kept going on at the next lights and I kept jumping off the line and trying to make it so my gears would kick in but she just kept pulling on me in the later gears. We raced till we got on the highway together and we maxed out. I was going 105mph when my speed limiter kicked in, and her truck still was slowly just going and we both topped out.

I was pretty pissed that night but realized well, the SS is lighter and probably pulling nearly the same power. so anyhow, deciding now what more things i can slowly do to progress to get my truck up to snub.

Well theres my story for anyone who's curious. I raced that girl continuously light to light and on the hwy, not proud to get my *** handed to me by a SS let alone a chick, but we'll see what happens in a bit.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:55 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran
Default RE: 2004 Dodge Ram HEMI // Chevy SS

With a Quad Cab, you had no chance. Even with a Regular Cab, you'd still get beat in a straight line - but by less. There are a ton of posts on here about the Hemi vs the SS. The only way to beat it would on a windy road where the Ram's handling could gain ground against the SS's better acceleration.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
wildneg
Rookie

You could just always run into it... side swipe it? Probably not a good race tactic *Grin*... Just Kidding by the way :P

Old 02-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Rabones22
Rookie

Man but still, that bastard chick with the SS, that pisses me off. I mean I just feel like I need to just strip some weight off my Hemi and probably kick in more power to the mug to kill an SS. I don't know, everyone's been talking about it for so long, could it win, could it not.

but that man was I pissed. I know my truck looked heavier anyhow, but still. Chevys in my opionon are pretty gay. I just wanted to beat the SS's. Maybe I should just trade mine in for a SRT-10 and see what happens then.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:26 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

ORIGINAL: sandiegohemi

With a Quad Cab, you had no chance. Even with a Regular Cab, you'd still get beat in a straight line - but by less. There are a ton of posts on here about the Hemi vs the SS. The only way to beat it would on a windy road where the Ram's handling could gain ground against the SS's better acceleration.
I disagree, I have raced two of them with my 2WD and won both times. Both of them pulled me on the start but I caught and passed them after 2nd gear. I raced one on the highway also and it was pretty even until he hit his speed limiter, something I no longer have.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

You are one of the rare ones, because performance data dictates otherwise. I'm not saying you are lying, just that it's not common. I've read other forums about Titans beating them too . . . and those I doubt even more.

They are definitely beatable, but a stock QC Hemi is going to have a lot of trouble. It has nothing to do with which truck is better - it is about their designed intent. The SS is built as a specialty package, HO Vortec, AWD, etc. A stock QC Hemi is not. Dodge makes their own specialty truck, the SRT10, and it'll kick the crap out of an SS.

Rabones22 - you don't need to trade your truck in for an SRT10 to beat one. Just throw on some mods . . . SC, reduce some weight, change the gears, whatever. In my opinion, anyone who buys a Silverado SS is ignorant. Who in their right mind would pay $45,000+ for a 345 hp truck? You can get a 2WD Hemi QC put on some modifications, beat the SS and still have $10,000-$12,000 left over.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

Did you have any performance mods? Did the Chevy SS? There are a lot of variable that are left to be explored as to why you lost. I have taken titan's and Z71 chevy's, have yet to race an SS.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:47 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

I have a muffler, chip and K&N drop in filter.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Rabones22
Rookie

INtake and Exhaust. As basic as it comes. The SS I dont know. Seemed stock exhaust to me. CAuse when she rev'd her truck, sounded pretty stock and gay to me. I definitely would have to say I can't see myself beating another SS because of the way it pulled on me. I mean I was all geared up and just going my own business and just in a steady slow pace, it pulled. pulled.... and passed.

Definitely need to cut some weight off my hemi and add a little more to it. SEe the thing is though, even if I do that, add a bit more power and other things to speed it up, always think the Chevy SS will have me beat cause of the options they have for upgrading their truck too. I hate chevys and they can suck it is the bottom line.

Rabones22 Thanks all for the post.

As for the titans. Anyone here raced a titan? Titans seem weak to me.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
5point7 hemi
Professional

The guy I raced lives near me, I went to his house this morning and saw he now has a new dual exhaust.
Anyhow I offered to race him again and this time I was going to video tape it.
He declined.
He also said he usually wins against quad cabs.
So there you have it.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram HEMI // Chevy SS