Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

DW VS Stewart...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DW VS Stewart...

DW Comments on the Stewart Flap: Darrell Waltrip responded yesterday to a series of personal sideswipes by Tony Stewart by saying, 'I don't like it when it turns ugly. 'At first I thought he was just messing around with me, doing a little pre-race sparring, which is OK,' Waltrip, a Fox Sports announcer, said from his home in Franklin. 'But then he just kept on and on, and I began to realize he wasn't joking around. 'I find it odd that he singled me out as his biggest critic. It's unfortunate.' Stewart directed sharp remarks toward Waltrip before and after Saturday's race in Richmond. Stewart was upset by Waltrip's comments the week before that perhaps NASCAR should suspend him for one race for rough driving. Several drivers have complained about Stewart's over-aggressiveness in recent weeks. After the race Stewart, who had made slight contact with Jeff Gordon, said in a live, nationally televised interview: 'Darrell and those guys are up there in the booth now, lobbying to get me suspended for life.' He continued to make pointed comments toward Waltrip. In reference to contact that was made among several drivers Stewart said, 'If Darrell had his way, we'd have only about 18 cars racing next week.'
Yesterday Waltrip was asked if he was peeved, hurt or amused by Stewart's personal attacks. 'I don't really have a reaction,' said Waltrip, a three-time champion whose 84 wins tie for third all-time. 'He drives his car and we talk about it. That's our jobs.' Waltrip said he has always liked Stewart and has repeatedly praised his driving talent. 'I don't have anything against Tony,' Waltrip said. 'What I said was not meant to be personal. Part of my job is to comment about situations on the track, and you can't ignore Tony's situation. This is reality TV. We don't make it up.' Waltrip said he has had no contact with Stewart since last Saturday night's outburst. 'I kept thinking maybe he'll call me up and tell me he was only kidding around,' he said. 'But so far I haven't heard from him.'(see full article at the Tennessean)
The columns at FoxSports would be:
Not the first to be singled out, Stewart doesn't deserve to be parked and
Parking Stewart would teach him self-control.(5-18-2004)

redriderbob

Old 05-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DW VS Stewart...

I know!! I was shocked at the continuous comments Tony kept saying about DW. It was the look on DW's face that made me laugh, but all in all, it was uncalled for. I think Tony was just having a REALLY bad day.

~Amanda

Old 05-18-2004, 04:56 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Tony needs to learn some self control. If he can't take a few comments from TV announcers, how is he going to stand up under the pressure of a race??? He's not setting a good example for the young folks, either....[:'(]

Old 05-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

But he makes NASCAR interesting...

And... driving around at 200mph is a good example? Hehehehe!!

~Amanda

Old 05-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Vader
Champion

Stewart reminds me of the kid in school who needed the crap kicked out of hum from time to time.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

Oooh come on Vader... he reminds of the guy who did the beating up. LOL! We've all seen him fly off the handle... temper temper... but I luv him just the same. NASCAR wouldn't be the same without him IMO.

~Amanda

Old 05-20-2004, 07:37 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I'd luv to see him and Jeff Gordon go at it!!!!!!!!!![sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley15.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 05-21-2004, 04:11 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, but they already have female wrestling as part of the WWE. [sm=lol.gif] I'm sure there would be alot of hair pulling and slapping going on.

He's been trying to handle his anger for a long time now, it's time to poop or get off the pot.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 05-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

If you have a temper, there is little way to control it... I like him as he is and don't want things to change at all. It add's spice.

~Amanda

Old 05-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Vader
Champion

I agree with you Amanda, Stewarts on track actions could get other drivers off their game. I just hope no one takes him out.