Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

dirt track

Old 04-08-2006, 01:47 AM
1994shadowman
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt track

My friend races dirt track at a local speedway in the Farley Flyers Division ( 4 cylinder Division ). I am just asking something that i believe is rediculus. He took third last year at a race. He got yelled at by the official after the race when they found a K&N filter on his throttle body. They said it was a "performance enhancing product". This is my question, why would he be yelled at because of a filter when it adds performance when you get more performance when you dont run with one? Some officials....

Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: dirt track

same thign would have happend here in NC..... those 4 banger classes are purely stock.... you cannot have ANY performance mods.... (aftermarket)..... its to keep the price down so that a 16 year old kid can go out and race if he wants. it helps keep it an even playing field because some people would get sponsors then have dominate cars. its a good idea for the lowest level dirt track racing.... i think.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:54 AM
1994shadowman
Captain

Well they can run open exhausts but besides that they are "purely stock". He shaves the heads on his cars and retards the cam and other things. Cliche but it is true, "It is only cheating if you get caught."

Old 04-13-2006, 02:08 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

how true that is.

yea it makes sense that doin stuff like that wouldnt get caught since its on the inside of the engine and not as visible.

thats a really cool class for racing, cuz the cars are (usually) worth next to nothing so theres a little more beating and banging..... i begged begged BEGGED my dad to let me do that (im 17) but he wouldnt let me cuz we couldnt afford both a race car (even one that cheap) and a truck for me.

i still really wanna do that when i get a better job

Old 04-13-2006, 01:33 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

Yeah a lot of the cars that race there are probes, neons, tracers [8D] and berettas. Most of which have plenty of marks and sheet metal patches. It is the only race there that you can watch without having to wear earplugs. I got to wear them when those NASCAR modified run, god those are loud, open headers!

Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

haha yea its probably smart to wear ear plugs. i personally dont because i love the noise.

i wonder if there are rules in those classes though about a already hopped up car. theres no performance modifications allowed, but what if you brought an SRT-4- obviously youd have to be LOADED to take that kind of car to get banged up, but would they let it go since its stock?? o well. fun stuff to think about.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:07 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

At this track you cant run turbos. So that means most people go for the strongest stock 4 banger motor that means DOHC. That is why you see so many neons and probes run.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:49 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

gotcha. i was wondering about that. i know around here they are allowed to do weight reduction. ha- get a 4 banger truck and hack off the entire bed to lose weight. im sure there are restrictions about roll bars but other than that strip off everything that has mass to it. hahaha

Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

Yes they put roll cages and they are allowed weight reduction, but there is one other thing. You cant have rear wheel drive in the 4 cylinder division at this track. My friend bought an MR2 with a blown head gasket, fixed the head gasket and wanted to race it. They told him he couldnt. I think that would be cool seeing that small car with the rear end sliding around the corners like the Modifieds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dirt track