Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

[Deleted]

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Deleted User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HOW ABOUT SOME RACE STORIES!!!!!

The only race I never won, I also never lost. I was in my Shelby Z and ran a 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, but the Turbo Coupe no longer has the 4 banger turbo, it had a mildly built 302. We were at a red light and I see this Turbo Coupe next to me but it's rumbling fairly loudly and I figured "what the hell", so I decided to go for it when the light changed. We were door to door the entire way. When we got to the next red light he asked what I had in it and I told him that it just has a 4 banger turbo, I don't think he was too happy with his T-Bird after that.

I don't start the fights I just finish them. That is probably why I haven't lost yet, yet being the key word here. I don't get in races that often either, so that too helps.[sm=smiley2.gif] People usually lose trying to bite off more than they can chew and trying to prove themselves by taking on bigger game.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:58 AM
03ramhemi
Professional

Does it matter if its racing in a Mopar vehicle?

Old 06-01-2004, 10:55 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really. We just won't cheer in the end.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 06-01-2004, 04:42 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

People usually lose trying to bite off more than they can chew and trying to prove themselves by taking on bigger game.
Yup, smart people pick their fights...smarter people pick their races, as well.
(And before anyone says it, "Stupid people pick their nose!")
[sm=smiley16.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 06-01-2004, 05:31 PM
red91RT
Veteran

The worst is the first draft of my 67 Camaro. 400 SB with TH400 3.08 non posi rear gear.

Vs.

Pop's 1961 Lancer Wagon with I think 4 speed manual overdrive (but it might have been during time he had an auto in there.)

At Sears Point Raceway. I should have walked all over him. But. . . rookies know nothing. In the last few hundred feet pop slowly rolls by me and then I started seeing a lot of smoke in the mirror and smelling burning rubber.

Essentially. . . we were running in bracket he dialed something like 14.75 and I 14.00. He took the win because I was spinning up the right rear tire in smoke when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd.

I did still get the quicker ET though of like 14.4 or 14.5 or so, but he claims victory "with a slower car" and has rubbed my face in it ever since. I now use a Chrysler 8 3/4 with posi on 3.23 gear and a TH700R4 he built. Motor's been rebuilt with about 2 full points more too. Needless to say my E.T. is significantly better but I go so infrequently my skills aren't much improved. (He did the same to me with his '96 Sierra at 16.02 to my Spirit R/T at 15.75. he hadn't supercharged his yet and was using stock tires. Mine was slow because I'd just bought the R/T and had the cracked head, though didn't know it, two frayed spark wires and a mess of other problems--just wanted to see what it would do before I started fiddling. He got me on the reaction time.)

***I should say before I feel too badly about it that pop won a LOT of trophies in the '60s, mostly with his 383 SuperBee.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:43 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

This isn't exactly a "race" story but: Shortly after I got married (the first and longest time), I bought a brand new Kawasaki 900cc Z-1. This was a terrific, state-of-the-art bike back in 1975....and faster than #$%^!@....

Anyways, I take my new bride out for a spin on it and end up on a two-lane freeway entrance ramp. Trouble is, there are two 18 wheelers, side by side, putzing along at maybe 30 mph in a 45 zone. To impress my new bride with my riding skills, I went between the two 18 wheelers at about 80 mph even with my Vetter fairing and my chrome crash bars that stuck out to the sides...as I started to drive between them I could hear my wife screaming out of her full coverage helmet and could feel her beating me on my back with her fists...After the ride was over, she got off the bike and screamed at me, "You're crazy!!!!" I guess I was. But only for marrying her!!!!!!![sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Haven't had any racing in the sxt. But i do have a few from the bike and the 96 Dodge ram I had. I was sitting at a light with the ram and this guy in a chevy truck was next to me. I was talking to my buddy and I here this reving so I look over and he was looking at me, when the light turned green he takes off then at that split millisecond I realize what he was doing. So I gun it and blew past him quickly. When we got to the next light he was cool about it and gave me the thumbs up.

On the FZR I had quite a few but a couple memorable ones.What is funny is I never provoke, they always called me out. One I was at a light and this kid pulls up in his honda of some sort and revs on me. I stared laughing then he guns it when the light turned green. I nail the throttle, By the time I was at the next light, I look in my mirror and he is barely pass the first interesection we started out at.

The other was this guy on a gxer 750. He revs on me, So the light turns green. (just to let you all know I bought my bike in VA so I don't have the smog crap that CALI requires which can hamper the HP's aboput 15 HP's). So we take off I I smoke him. I was in 2nd gear redlining and was close to 95mph's. HE should have smoked me, but goes to show it is what you know and how to ride. Because I could hear him shift and he was going through the gears to fast.

People usually lose trying to bite off more than they can chew and trying to prove themselves by taking on bigger game.

Yup, smart people pick their fights...smarter people pick their races, as well.
so the above quote says it all. Also because over half the time the inexperienced don't know what they are racing. Like these guys on the V-twins against an inline four. I have smoked a few with V-twins who had a bigger displacement, But don't realize that the inline for smaller displacements are equal to the larger V-twin displacements. So they pull up thinking they are all bad asses and rev on me. I take off, beat the hell out of them, then at the next light they won't even acknowledge me. I think that is pretty f'n funny

Old 06-02-2004, 04:25 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish the drag strip here wasn't so frickin' far and didn't cost so much to run at. And that it wasn't so frickin' busy too. I would love to go there and be able to run others in a nice fair, legitimate and safe environment. Not too mention that then it's 100% legal and you don't have to worry about your license or other cars, people, animals, crappy roads and traffic. A few friends and I have been talking about the possibility of us going together on getting a track built, so that racers wouldn't have to go quite as far to get to the track as well as having better hours and providing other services at the track including a parts and tools shop. Well, we can dream can't we.[sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 06-02-2004, 04:10 PM
03ramhemi
Professional

Well, I was driving my dads Audi A4 1.8T quattro, and stopped at a light and my unlce was there in his 4.7 QC Dak, and he's a speed demon, so I knew it was on. I had it revved at about 3 grand to have the turbo working, and when it turned green he punched it, spinning a bit, I floored it and we both were equal to about 40, when I started to pull a bit. I had a full car load mind you and he only had two other people. We stopped at about 45-50 in a 35.

Was driving my moms Durango(Hemi) and stopped at a light with this lady driving a Grand Prix GTP. I looked over b/c I knew somebody that owned one and was looking to see if it was her. It wasn't, but she must have thought I wanted to race. So when it turned green, she stepped on it, so did I, and about 10-15 we knew we were racing so we both floored it, the font of her car was about at my door and stayed that way until we stopped. They were cool tho, next light we just laughed about it, and they turned off.

Another with the Durango- This girl and her boyfriend pulled up to me in their GT-S with their tunes playing loud, thinking they're all cool. I looked over and I knew it was on, so when it turned green she floored it, and so did I, that one, I blew its doors off, it stayed with me until she shifted to 2nd, then she dropped back significantly.

My motorcycle- I was riding my 2000 Yamaha XT 350 with a friend up to some trails, and we were on a country road at the time. He always thought his bike could smoke mine cause I had a 350 where he had a 400 DRZ. Soo we stopped, and took off and we both lifted the front tires off and same when we shifted to second, but I had him from the start, we raced to about 50. We would even racing from 10 to 50, he would lose.

dad's Ram Hemi- We were driving home from a motorcycling trip from California back to Washington. So we had both DS(dual sports) in the bed(about 650 extra weight with luggage and bikes.). We were driving on a two lane twisty road, and there was these motorhomes and trucks with boats/trailers backing up traffic, so when there would be a passing lane, everyone would step on it and try to get around them, as they would be speeding up to not let them pass. There was this mid '90's V-tech preylude(spelling?) behind us, so when it went to passing lane, (my dad was driving) he floored it and soo did the Honda, we blew away from the Honda, and then dad let off at about 75, and we noticed that the Honda was flying up behind us, so dad floored it again and just kept it floored the Honda was slowly gaining on us, then stopped gaining when we hit 100 and my dad backed off and the guy then passed us, smiling and gave us a thumbs up out his sunroof.

Will have more race stories soon, as I will be driving the Durango over to Seattle area for the weekend.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]